View Single Post
Old 04-27-2021, 02:48 PM   #8
Umbrella
High School Varsity

1947-48 SEASON NEW YORK KNICKS

OFF SEASON

The fledging league is not off to a good start as Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Toronto, and Detroit all fold. When 3 of your 6 playoff teams go under, that’s not a good sign. However, that means that the league will have a dispersal draft, and there will be some good talent in there. Unfortunately, we only have the 6th pick. We picked up C Connie Simmons from Cleveland. He was a bench player for them, but he is only 23 with high potential. In real life, he was a solid but unspectacular player, and was the 2nd player to enter the league (behind Kappen) who didn't play college ball.

Baltimore is added to the league, leaving the league at eight teams for the upcoming season. Washington is switched over to the Western conference to keep balance. However, this means there will be an expansion draft, and we are required to expose three players to the draft. I choose to expose Duffy, Barr, and Endress, as they didn’t play for us much during last season, and none of them are involved in my long term plans. Duffy ended up being taken.

Next up was the rookie draft. Once again we have the 6th pick in both rounds. As I mentioned earlier, it is not a very deep draft. For our first pick, I was debating between PG Sid Tannenbaum (best available player) and SG Andy Philip (team need). In the end I went with Tannenbaum because he is only 21 years old, and that was my scout’s choice. He looks to be able to get to the rim and defend on the perimeter. In the second round, my scout was suggesting PG Joseph Riser, but he is 32 years old, and we just took a PG. None of the players look great, so I ended up taking SF Gene Vance, who looks like he can be a decent rebounder. In real life, he is a legend at University of Illinois, but didn't have an impactful NBA career. As expected, Red Rocha was the overall #1 pick by Washington.

During free agency, I needed to get another shooting guard. We are over the cap, so I can only sign someone to the minimum. None of the available players were much of a scoring threat, so I focused on defense. I offered the minimum for one year to Zigmund Mihalik who was a significant bench player with Detroit last year. He ended up signing with us. In real life, he only played in 7 games, yet is in the hall of fame as a referee. He's also Polish, so maybe he and Knoreck will bond. Philly and Boston were very active during free agency, so they will likely be tougher this season.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote