View Single Post
Old 04-29-2021, 05:22 PM   #17
Umbrella
High School Varsity

PRE-SEASON

We were picked to finish 3rd this year with Boston winning. With Hermsen and Mikkelsen, Boston will be tough to stop on the inside.

Our lineup this season will be a little different this year. C-Boykoff, PF-Simmons, SF-Fulks, SG-Tannenbaum, PG-Zaslofsky, with Glamack, See, Riebe, Schectman, and Kappen filling out the rotation. This is the deepest team we have had. We went 4-2 during the pre-season.

REGULAR SEASON

I signed Zaslofsky and Kappen to 2 year extensions at a low price. A brutal early season schedule led us to our worst start in franchise history at 3-5 before Kappen broke his foot, and will miss around 5 weeks. We finished the month at 5-6, but considering 8 of those games were on the road, I’m not too concerned…yet.

Early in December, Tannenbaum broke his cheekbone, but should only miss 2-3 weeks. The home-road split leveled out in December, but we still weren’t playing great, finishing the month at 10-10. That is only good enough for 4th place, 2 games out of 3rd and 5 games out of 1st.

Early in January, Syracuse offered a trade which I couldn’t refuse. We got PF Carl Braun, one of the better players in the league, in exchange for Ferrin, who barely played for us the last two seasons. I think they felt he wouldn’t re-sign with them, and wanted to get something. In real life, Braun played for and then coached the Knicks, at one point held the NBA single game scoring record, is in the basketball hall of fame, and is believed to have coined the term “swish”. Braun immediately replaced Boykoff in the starting lineup, and I signed him to a 3 year extension. We continued to win at home and struggle on the road, and finished January 16-15, 6 games out of first. Fulks won player of the month.

Our middling record landed us only two all-stars, Fulks and Braun. The team started to click in February, and we finished the month at 24-17. We were only ½ game behind Philly for 2nd, but Boston is running away with the division, seven games in front.

In March, we resumed our “win at home, lose on the road” ways, and then Fulks broke his foot. I think we need to install new flooring at the Garden. He should be back for the playoffs, if we can make it. Braun picked up the slack, and we held our own, finishing at 32-23, which put us in second place. Braun won player of the month.

With 2 games left in the season, we were guaranteed second place, so I let my bench players get some more playing time. We finished the season 41-25, which was the second best record in the league, but still a full 8 games behind Boston.

Fulks was second in scoring, and Simmons was fifth in rebounds.

Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote