View Single Post
Old 05-03-2021, 02:52 PM   #29
Umbrella
High School Varsity

1957-58 NEW YORK KNICKS

OFFSEASON

A bit of movement by teams this offseason. The Rochester Royals move to Cincinnati, while the defending champion Fort Wayne Pistons move to Detroit.

We pick fifth in the draft, and select SF Jim Krebs. He looks to be a very good rebounder, but probably won’t get a lot of playing time. In real life, Krebs is another player who died young at 29, when a tree branch fell and hit his head. There’s nobody in the 2nd round who will ever be part of our plans, but I take PG Jim Walsh. St. Louis took SG Sam Jones with the #1 pick.

For the first time ever, there was no need to do anything during free agency. The only signing of notice was Philadelphia signing SF George Yardley from Syracuse.

PRE-SEASON

The media predicts us to win the division. Our lineup will be C-Miller, PF-Pettit, SF-Johnston, SG-Guerin, PG-Cousy, with Stokes and Berce filling out the rotation. We go 5-1 during the pre-season, and expectations are high in New York.

REGULAR SEASON

I would like to extend Pettit and Miller as options 1 and 1A. Unfortunately, both want to test free agency. I will be able to use my Bird rights on Pettit, but not Miller next season. Early in November, Cousy sprains his ankle, which will put him out of action almost a month. Miller comes back to me saying he wants to sign a 5 year max deal. I offer 4 years instead. He insists on 5, which I think I will only get 3 years of max production, so I am willing to let him walk. The team continues to win, helped by a slate of home games, and then we lose Guerin for a couple of weeks with a sprained knee. We then lose four straight, all on the road. We finish the month at 9-5, good enough for the lead. Johnston wins player of the month.

The teams starts out great in December, putting together a 10 game winning streak before Cousy gets our first broken foot of the season. He’ll be out until sometime in February. We finish the month at 19-7. We’re still in first, but Philly is playing phenomenal as well, and is only ½ game back.
In January, we see how much Cousy means to the team. We can only play .500 ball, and we finish the month at 25-13. Philly continues their hot play, taking the lead by 4 ½ games. Johnston is still playing at an MVP level, winning another player of the month.

Cousy, Johnston, and Pettit make the all star team. Aided by a very favorable schedule, we are able to get healthy while making up some ground on Philly. We finish at 35-16, only 1 game back.

March looks to be difficult, as most of the games will be on the road. About midway through the month, we lose Miller with a torn ligament, definitely for the regular season and perhaps the playoffs. The loss of our big man, combined with the difficult schedule, results in the month ending at 39-25, 3 ½ games back.

On the first game in April, we lose Pettit for the season, and probably the playoffs, with a broken leg. What looked like a possible championship season is falling apart at the seams. We finally break a seven game losing streak, but Philly still clinches the division. We had nothing to play for at this point, so the bench players played out the string. We finished the season 43-29, six games behind Philly.

Cousy leads the league in assists, and Pettit and Johnston and 2nd and third in scoring.

PLAYOFFS

Johnston took home 2nd team all-defensive honors. Walsh somehow made 1st team all-rookie, while Krebs was 2nd team. Guerin and Johnston were both named 1st team all-NBA, and Pettit was 2nd team. And finally, Johnston was named the MVP. Sam Jones was rookie of the year.

We got a first round matchup with Boston, who we went 12-10 against this year. As beat up as we are, I’m not too optimistic. We get a terrific all around team effort in winning game 1 102-100. Boston takes game 2 108-90. Miller returns at less than100% for game 3, coming off the bench, but his presence isn’t enough to avoid a 115-105 loss. The crushing disappointment of this season continues, losing a tight one in game 4 113-108.

Philadelphia wins their first NBA title behind the play of star Bill Russell.

This season was a heartbreaker. We were as good as anyone in the league before all the major injuries occurred late in the season. I still think we’re close to contending. I intend on signing Pettit, and perhaps Miller if he doesn’t ask for too much. There are some good players available next year for free agency, but I’m sure their current teams will do whatever they can to re-sign them.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote