View Single Post
Old 05-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #36
Umbrella
High School Varsity

1962-63 NEW YORK KNICKS

OFF SEASON

A lot of offseason news to start the latest update. First, Chicago realized that calling themselves the Packers was a terrible idea, and renamed themselves the Zephyrs. Second, Philly is continuing the western migration, moving to San Francisco to be the San Francisco Warriors.

Closer to home, I was given a two year extension. As it turns out, that would be the last official duty of owner Frank Davis, as he then sold the team to Gong Dai. He’s got to be better than Dolan, right?

Even with our nice playoff run and finals appearance, we were still terrible during the season, so we pick 4th in the draft. Chicago threw everything off with a surprise #1 pick of SG Terry Dischinger, who was projected to go 5th. I thought maybe I could get lucky, and have Dave DeBusschere or John Havlicek drop to me, but I wasn’t that fortunate. This forced a tough decision between me and my scout. I ended up taking PF Len Chappell, although my scout wanted SF Bill Bridges. In the second round, I took PG Kevin Loughery, a raw talent with a very high upside.

I have a decent amount of cap room and there are some absolute studs available in free agency. I’m sure Bird rights will be used on them, but it won’t stop me from trying. I start by offering a 6 year max deal to C Wayne Embry. I also offer a 5 year max deal to PF Elgin Baylor. They both sign with their original teams, so I then go after PF Connie Dierking. I also offer a very low two year contract to SG George Lee. I get underbid on both, but they prefer the better team, and indicate they won’t sign for me. I then offer a 2 year deal to SG Gene Shue, and a 1 year min offer to PF Jackie Moreland. George Lee changes his mind, and signs with us, so I pull Shue’s offer. Moreland signs soon after, and my roster is now full.

For our previous players, they all signed one year minimum deals. Mikan to Detroit, Peterson to St. Louis, and Ferry to San Francisco.

PRE-SEASON

The media predicts a third place finish again. Our starting lineup will be the same as last season, C-Scott, PF- Pettit, SF-Guerin, SG-Garmaker, PG-Attles. The bench rotation is a little different, with Chappell, Lee, and Greer slotted for minutes. We start the pre-season 1-2, and then I get the trade offer; Oscar Robertson for Ray Scott. I love Scott, but when you have a chance to get the reigning 23-year old MVP, I can’t turn it down. Syracuse decides they want more of my team, and I make my second trade with them in a week, giving them Shaffer for C Rudy LaRusso. We finish the pre-season at 2-4.

REGULAR SEASON

Our season starts off as road warriors, as we have 11 of the 17 games on the road. The Big O is great, and we hold our own, going 8-9 for the month. We then get offered Elgin Baylor for Pettit. I did consider this, but Baylor’s contract is very long, and I think it will outlive its usefulness, so I declined.

December has a lot of home games on the schedule, so I feel if we’re going to be any good, we need to make a move this month. A couple of games into the homestand, Robertson truly proves he’s a Knick by breaking a rib. It doesn’t seem too severe though, and he should only miss a couple of weeks. The injury leads to Chappell getting his first career start, which in turns leads to Chappell getting his first career injury, a dislocated knee. He’ll be out over a month, and here we go yet again. I mean, this is getting so ridiculous that I don’t even want to play anymore. And then, in the very next game, Garmaker sprains his ankle. Three games, three injured starters. This isn’t even realistic at this point, and I’m taking a break from this dynasty to save my sanity.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote