View Single Post
Old 11-22-2022, 06:33 PM   #1340
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I'm quite hesitant to go with the hot take and dismiss this as insanity. But I don't agree.

Michigan rested every remotely dinged-up player, including several difference-makers. Their Heisman-level running back uncharacteristically fumbled in the red zone on a play in which he became the next dinged-up player to take a long rest. If they had scored then, it's a different game in the third quarter.

Rushing was 34-148 for Illinois, 40-168 for Michigan. Passing was 21-30-178 for Illinois, 18-34-208 for Michigan. That one turnover makes this a statistically even game. Having the top kicker in the country go 4-for-4 on a very windy day earned Michigan the victory.

Give Illinois credit. A good team that came into Ann Arbor and played hard. I have no doubt Bielema has turned the program around. But Michigan, in its first remotely even game statistically, found a way to win. Compare that to other top teams - sometimes they have mediocre games.

Given what it would mean to Michigan to go into Columbus and win on Saturday, I can't imagine not wanting a big win. Also, I think even with a loss to Illinois, beating Ohio State and then with another win in the Big Ten championship (hardly a given), they would be in the playoff easily.

Last edited by Solecismic : 11-22-2022 at 06:35 PM.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote