View Single Post
Old 04-25-2023, 01:31 PM   #2313
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
To coin a phrase, "He who pays the gold makes the rules".

Fans don't seem to realize, or at least most remain in denial, about the reality that sports have been sold to the networks and that butts in seats are increasingly irrelevant. It's a TV product first and foremost, in-person product is well down the list.

I am very aware that it is a TV product first. It is why I don't see myself paying to go most major sporting events again if I actually care about watching the sport. The question I think all sports leagues have to answer is if the in-person product becomes unwatchable for people in the stadium/arena, does that affect the experience for the people watching at home? I would have said that it would have no effect at all but then Covid happened. The majority of TV viewers hated the empty/limited fan stadium sporting events experience IIRC.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote