View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #281
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Dec 11, 2012
Our Reserves got their butts handed to them 3-1 in a fitness friendly at Spennymoor. I screwed up here & forgot that R friendlies wold be handled by the staff, so most of the players I wanted to get fitness time didn't play like I wanted.

Dec 12, 2012(afternoon)
Blyth (4-6-11, 22nd) at Cambridge (7-3-11, 16th)

Scheduling quirk where we play these guys tonight and then again Saturday afternoon in the 1st Rd of the FA Trophy. Probably a better chance to win at home next time but we certainly could use at least a point here today. Instead of cherrypicking my lineup accordingly for either purpose, it'll probably be determined more by who's rested & who isn't. They're 4:7 faves at home, we're 4:1 dogs away. 4-4-2 Standard, mostly because I haven't had the team training Counter this week.

GK: McDonald
D: Martin - Antwi - Stevenson - Purvis
MF: Matondo - Hands - Vipond - Morrison
F: Mole - Lobjoit
Bench: (Sinclair - White - Stamp - Groves - Hartley)

5:00 - We dodge a bullet as they dribbled right past Purvis but missed the shot wide left pretty badly
32:00 - Matondo deep down the left side ... beautiful cross into the box ... we had nobody there to do anything with it
32:30 - McDonald denies their leading scorer Marriott on a breakway
34:30 - McDonald denies him again, this time in the box
37:30 - A corner gives them a great chance, they hit the crossbar
45:00 - Hands takes a knock, has to be subbed ... White on for Hands
Halftime - It's a pure miracle we're still in this one after being outshot 11-0. Only 33% poss for us, only 49% passing. Switch to Counter, tweak our passing mixture.

47:20 - White with a free kick from the right channel .. plays it to the opposite side of the area for Vipond .. controls & shoots .. GOAL!!! (1-0) Out of nowhere, completely unexpected all the way round
51:10 - Marriott vultures a rebound of a shot by Pugh ... tie game (1-1)
55:27 - Vipond takes a corner to the far post for Stevenson ... header misses horribly
60:55 - Atiku works a give & go with Marriott ... and we left Atiku all alone (1-2)
73:00 - Sub Sinclair for Stevenson (5.7) ... Sub Stamp for Mole (5.6) ... switch to Attacking (might as well)
89:00 - 2 mins of added time
94:00 - A corner produces nothing of interest, and that'll finish it.

Fulltime - My staff says we should be pleased with the effort. Apparently they hate offense. We got outshot 17-2, barely completed half (55%) of our passes, a truly embarassing offensive show. Overall I tell the team that we were unlucky, to some extent that's true I suppose. Individually I express my displeasure to those who simply sucked out loud - Stevenson, Martin, and Mole.

McDonald 6.3
Martin 5.7, Antwi 7.1, Stevenson 5.7, Purvis 6.8
Matondo 6.8, Hands 6.9,Vipond 7.3 & 1 goal, Morrison 6.6
Mole 5.6, Lobjoit 6.6
Subs: Sinclair 6.9, White 6.9 & 1 assist, Stamp 6.4

Dec 14, 2012 (postmatch)
We're now in a 5 point hole to get out of the drop zone and with one match left before the halfway point, my optimism is fading. We're simply not getting any better, nor looking any more competitive than we did early on.

And it's not getting any better.

Reece Hands will be out two months with a sprained ankle suffered during a heavy landing just before halftime.
Will Antwi will be out up to a month with a groin strain suffered just before the end of the match.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-23-2012 at 12:14 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote