View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 10:06 AM   #102
cuervo72
Head Coach

So, I just had my first big "oh, sh!t!" moment within the last week. Son got his financial award notification from Purdue - which we anticipated would be an affordable option - and it was basically:

Costs: ~48k
EFC: ~43k
Loan: 5k

And that's it. Now, we do ok salary-wise (now that my wife is basically working full-time, which she didn't for many years). That doesn't mean we have much of anything stocked away (especially with 2.5 mos. of recent unemployment) or have it in the budget to take on a 40k+ yearly expenditure. But the FAFSA calculations are what they are and I understand that.

The fact that NO merit aid was offered was a bit of a shock.

So Purdue, which was 1a, may need to slip a little, barring a ton of little scholarships (or a large Grandma & Grandpa scholarship). Son was only waitlisted for the honors college as well. The 1b - good ol' U. of Maryland - will be cheaper just on the basis of being in-state, plus he is accepted to the honors college. It's a great option, but there's a bit of a disappointment in that he's done everything that could be asked of him academically, and it still may not matter (such is life, I guess).

We still have to wait for decisions from Michigan, Ga. Tech, and Virginia Tech as well as aid from Texas A&M, but it'll probably take something extraordinary for any of those to jump into the lead, which I'm not expecting after Purdue.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 02-20-2018 at 10:07 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote