View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 06:52 PM   #115
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Man, this is such a weird science. Just got home and had my son tell me that he got an e-mail from Maryland clarifying that while he was admitted to the Honors College, he was not admitted directly to the Clark Engineering School, but would have to start in Letters and Sciences and transfer later.

Now, transferring to Clark is apparently no big deal - just maintain a 3.0 the first semester (year?). But it's just bizarre. His SAT scores were 790M, 780V (one shot), he scored 800 on the Math II/Chemistry subject tests, had 5s in AP Calc BC, AP Chem, AP World. (He's taking Physics at the CC now as there weren't enough students for it at the HS; if he gets a 4 or 5 on the AP he'll essentially be able to skip much of the Freshman year requirements.) He's had all A's outside of a B in Geometry, which he took online as an 8th grader.

He's unfazed by it, but I mean, what the hell?

This even happened often when I worked admissions at a SUNY school. They load up first-years with all of their gen eds and core major requirements, rather than have them show up on campus "in the major" because kids change their majors so much and it's an administrative hassle.

Plus for undergrads, unless they're majoring in nursing or something, it doesn't really matter what they're majoring in the first two years, unless they are wanting to take advantage of some kind of dual enrollment thing, but that doesn't sound like the case here.

I don't know the specifics of UM, but it's not that unusual in a general higher ed sense.