View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 10:41 PM   #122
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
He's been pretty active EC-wise, though there's not one thing that really stands out.

{reads list}

Arts? check
Athletics? check
Student govt / civics? check

The only possible checkbox I don't see is one you might label "service" (think Habitat or similar) but definitely no glaring lack of ec stuff there.

I mostly thought it was worth asking since it got such an immediate reaction from my own student, who is pretty conscious of the trends he sees with admission, the backstories he pieces together for how/why people did or didn't get into a certain place, etc etc.

His other take, fwiw obviously, on your son's list is that it was weighted heavily toward tougher-to-crack schools for out of state students.
I looked up most of them earlier today, I think the highest o-o-s percentage of his candidates you mentioned was 36%, with a low of 4%. No doubt a lot of that is a function of his major, so that stuff just has to fall however it falls, you can't control that.

Just thinking, for other folks, that's definitely something to consider when compiling a list of targets, making sure that some higher-probability option isn't overlooked by virtue of being ranked 11th in a field instead of 10th or 16th instead of 15th or whatever.