View Single Post
Old 03-04-2018, 10:54 AM   #130
cuervo72
Head Coach

NMF is hit or miss it seems. A&M is offering $3,000 just for being a semifinalist, and would have given another $7k if he had put them down as his #1 choice (though other sources seemed dodgier on this, as it said finalists are "eligible" for the additional $7k). Those combined would have given him a waiver to get in-state tuition.

But...it would have been at A&M. They were basically #6 on the applications list, there to round out things just in case every other app went sideways for whatever reason. Outside of the blip with the engineering school, Maryland should be just fine. Already in-state, bunch of other positives. So he switched his #1 from Purdue to Maryland (I think Purdue would have only given $500 for NMF). Maryland can give up to $2,500, but I don't think that's guaranteed. Will have to find out later on that, as I don't think it's in the initial package -- which apparently he can access, but hasn't bothered to do yet (available online last night, he decided playing Solaris was more interesting).

He* hasn't ruled Purdue out, but I think Maryland is in the lead right now. Of course we have three more we haven't heard anything from, but I can't imagine two of them (Michigan, GT) would offer much of anything assuming he's even accepted. No clue on VT.

* Well, I should say "we." My wife is basically saying that we'll do what it takes to send him where he wants to be, we'll take on loans or whatever. I don't know what HIS tolerance for taking on loans is though.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 03-04-2018 at 10:59 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote