View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 08:01 PM   #146
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Any idea what percent is spent on sports? Or if sports coaches are considered admin?

Varies by state, university, and in some cases (IIRC) even by sport.

Keep in mind that athletic department revenues (between TV rights, tickets, merch sales & licensing, and donations) in some programs (not most, but some) not only fund the athletic department in full but sometimes provide a significant amount of scholarship money for non-athletes as well.

Here's a 2016 local article that goes into detail -- and notes that as of 2010 the majority of universities did fund some athletic costs out of the general fund (or similar). Here? The Athletic Association not only covers all the athletic scholarships but also endows faculty positions, pays stipends to undergrad researchers unaffiliated with athletics, contributes around $2m a year in general scholarship money, pays all program expenses for all sports ... and still runs at a significant (8 figure annually) surplus.

I may hate them mangy mutts, but give the devils their due, they know how to handle their dollars.

edit to add: the situation is similar at a number of SEC schools, depending upon how they've chosen to structure things. Saban doesn't cost Alabama taxpayers a dime as I understand it, UT always makes sizable donations to the general scholarship fund, etc etc.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-24-2018 at 08:02 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote