Old 08-02-2014, 12:43 AM   #60
Radii
Head Coach

May 28th, 2014

North American Open Cup - Third Qualifying Round

Wake Forest Cougars vs Ogden Outlaws

Attendence: 460

No sellout!?

-- Ogden are 2-5 favorites, we're 13:2 to get this one. The odds keep getting longer and longer.
Starting Lineup

GK: Gyan
D: Coggins/Galvis/Garcia/Arroyo
DM: Pena
M: Glaser/Mora
AM: Davidson/Crook
ST: Navarro

I am very lucky that Ryan Crook is one of the stronger guys on the team in terms of fitness. Cooper should be ready to go next match. I also think Mora has been strong enough that I want to keep him in today instead of rotating for a slightly more fit player.

We're obviously defending today.

15': Coggins misjudges a cross that allows Ogden to get a really good look from about 10 yards out and they score first. 0-1

28': they cross, we head it out, but they recover the ball and we get very lucky as a shot hits the crossbar and goes just over.

30': Mora finds Davidson coming in from the left, he shoots but its way off. We've had a few offensive highlights and a few nice plays, just nothing put together yet.

32': There it is! Davidson with a run down the left, a cross to the penalty spot, Mora is there and sticks it in with a great left footed volley! 1-1

41': They build up and get a shot off from the right side of the area, but its right at Gyan. Even then, its scary, anything on target is terrifying at this level. He makes the save.

HALF: I tell the team that I honestly think they can win this one. They are outshooting us 6-3, but we are hanging on to possession nicely, with 59% of the play so far, we are doing great in the air and we are winning our tackles. We really have a shot I think.

53': We control the ball for a good long while before Mora finally works it forward, he hits Crook on the right, he shoots, but its not a great angle and he puts it into the side netting.

54': we intercept a pass in their end, Navarro goes by a man and gets a little space on the left side of the area, he shoots.. its just off the bar. That was a tough shot with his weaker foot, but a good effort.

69': Perkins in for Glaser, Pace in for Crook at AMR.

90': Throwin in their end, Mora takes a shot from just outside the penalty area, but he misses badly.

94': Mora is hurt, and forced to leave the match. Ugghhh, I don't want him hurt!

FULL TIME: Tapia is going to come in for Mora, and I've used all my subs, so this is my team for extra time.

101': A nice run from MR Myers on their side, there's a pass ahead to him, Coggins makes a great slide to get in front of him as he shoots, and blocks it.

103': Coggins yellow.

Extra Time HalfTime: We might have to hope for penalties here.

114': They shoot on a free kick, miles wide.

Full Time: And that's it, we go to penalties.

Perkins: right side, good. 1-0
Hardy: right side, good. 1-1

Coggins: bottom left corner, good. 2-1
Ammann: almost right down the middle, good. 2-2

Navarro: right side, good. 3-2
Maldonado: right side, good. 3-3

Garcia: left center, good. 4-3
Quintero: right down the middle, it hits Gyan, but goes in. 4-4

Davidson: left side, good. 5-4
Roberts: left side, good. 5-5

Tapia: top left corner, good. 6-5
Carlton: left side, good. 6-6

Arroyo: top right corner, good. 7-6
Lenweke: right side, good. 7-7

Galvis: bottom right, good. 8-7
Prado: left side... Gyan dives left, but the ball goes inches over him. 8-8

Pena: left center, good. 9-8
Myers: right side, good. 9-9

Pace: left side, good. 10-9
Angeles: lower left, good. 10-10

Gyan: slightly left of center... their keeper saves.
Rodriguez: right side, good. 10-11

Penalty kciks at this level are hilarious, the keepers are so bad they can barely move, so as long as you don't just miss the target, you're extremely likely to score. We make it all the way to keeper vs keeper, and Gyan couldn't finish.

Wake Forest 1 : 1 (10-11 on penalties) Ogden

Man of the Match: Jhonatan Mora (8.0)
Goal: Mora
Assist: Davidson (6.9)
Notables: Garcia (7.0), Galvis (7.1)

Most importantly probably, there is no long term injury for Mora.

Also, we now have a few weeks where we just have 1 match a week, before the start of the next cup competition, the far less lucrative "North American Amateur Cup".
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote