View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
Suicane75
Coordinator

New York Times, January 3rd 1944

New York District Court 4 handed down it's ruling today on the case of Major League Baseball V. Bill Veeck in the matter of the contracts handed out to 13 black ballplayers. The court found insufficient evidence to block or overturn the contracts handed out uniformly to all 13 men, which included $100,000 for 5 years of service time, 2 new cars for each man, and a house per player in the Philadelphia/New Jersey area.

Commisioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis read from a statement on the courthouse steps following the verdict.

"At this time the decision has been made to no longer pursue the injunction we've attempted to levy upon mister Veeck. The courts have had their say, and win or lose it simply isn't worth the time or the money for the commissioners office to further it's attempt at blocking these contracts. Now then if some of these owners wish not to take the field in a major league sanctioned ballgame against this team of black ballplayers I can assure you that they will meet, with swift hand, both fines and suspensions. I will not endorse, nor will I hinder the individual owner who wishes to field the black ballplayer".

It is believed that in the coming time, perhaps as early as today, Landis will step down as commissioner of Major League Baseball in protest of the decision. It is unknown what direction the collective owners of the other 7 National League teams will take regarding the coming season.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote