View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #11
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

28 July 2012

More good news from some of the players we've offered contracts over the past week or so. Here are the newest Alfredians.

Jamie Dormer M(L), M(C), D/WB/AM (L)
Best Role: Wide Midfielder/Defend duty
Current Ability: 5.0 stars
Potential Ability: 5.0 stars
Strengths: Determination 12
Weaknesses: No key attribute lower than 8
Dormer joins Lee Darlison to plug the hole on the left wing. There are no real holes in his game, and he'll make our set pieces more dangerous with his ability to hit corners and free kicks. Jamie is a real pro, with a desire to get into management when he hangs up his boots.

Toby Sumner M(C)
Best Role: Deep Lying Playmaker/Support duty
Potential Abiliy: 5.0 stars
Strengths: Composure 11, Decisions 11, Creativity 11
Weaknesses: Technique 3
I'm not sure if you can teach a dog his age any new tricks, but with a bit of work on his technique, Sumner could boss the midfield for us this year. He'll should enable us to relieve our young mids from the responsibility of playing regularly in the first XI; we'll be able to spot them and give them a taste of first team football.

Jack Adams ST
Best Role: Advanced Forward/Attack duty
Potential Ability: 5.0 stars
Strengths: Flair 13, Composure 12, Pace 11, Work Rate 10
Weaknesses: Crossing 2, Dribbling 5
Adams is one of the young players I watched on Trial Day, and after we scouted him, I quickly offered him a contract. Jack plays well in a Poacher role, too, and I can see us pairing him up top with Richard Claydon.

Overall analysis: Unless our staff is completely wrong about these guys, they represent a significant step forward in our efforts to put together a competitive side this year. Adams gives us an exciting young striker, which I always love to see on the roster.

We lost out on our bids for two other players I really liked: Neil Grayson, a veteran forward who signed with Beaconsfield SYCOBfor £70 a week, and Steve Jagielka, who is on his way to Ellesmere Rangers.

Grayson is 47, and I confess, I thought it would be cool to have him in the club. He's still got some gas left in his tank, too. Losing out on Jagielka was an even bigger disappointment. He can play all over the pitch and do a good job wherever he's played, and he signed an amateur contract with a similar club. Still, if the guys we've brought in are as good as they seem right now, I can't complain.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote