View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 04:32 PM   #110
PilotMan
Head Coach

April Recap

Not the start we had in mind, but not a bad one either. We finish April with a 13-10 record and a hold on 2nd place in the West. That puts us 3.5 games behind the leading Houston Astros.

Where last year's team looked a little weak in the hitting department this year's team seems to be better equipped. The team is 5th in the NL in average. That .257 is higher than anything we had last year. They are also 3rd in slugging and 3rd in OBP. Tied for 2nd in HR's. So the hitting is looking good. Clearly with Henderson on the team, the stolen bases were going to come up some. We are no longer dead last in that department either, with 24 we are 7th. I would expect that to go up a little bit too.

Pitching hasn't been as good through. Even thought the team is 2nd in team ERA, the bullpen is 8th. The starters have been going deep, but when the game gets turned over, it's not as much of a certainty as it's been. I'm not blaming Steve Howe for this...yet. While we are 4th in runs allowed, we are 9th in hits allowed. That's offset by being 1st in bases on balls. If that were to drop I think you'd see more guys scoring. On defense, we are still good. Good enough for 3rd in the NL.

So our start could have been better, but I think the team is actually better than our record indicates. I'm confident that as the season goes along we'll find out place.

Top pitcher of the month was Fernando. He powered through in April with a 4-1 record and an ERA of 1.48. His 0.77 WHIP was one of the best that we've ever had. For a while it looked like Denny (2-2, 225) or Rhoden (3-1, 2.87) might take that title too. Who didn't? Look no further than newcomer Don Robinson. He allowed batters to his .286 against him, but his 2.57 WHIP and 9.64 ERA made all that a lot worse. He was supposed to be a reliable arm. April was not his month. Nor was it Pena's month (7.71 ERA, .375 oavg), or Holton's either (4.70 ERA, .303 OAVG, 1.83 WHIP)

Batting wise however, we had the rookie, Incaviglia who tore it up with 9 HR's and 25 RBI's in April, but he wasn't the top hitter. At least not in my eyes. His OBP was a lowly .330, and he struck out 30 times in 85 at bats. However, he was selected as the Rookie of the Month and Batter of the Month in the NL. No, in my opinion, the best hitter was Tony Phillips. Yeah, Tony Phillips. His slash line was .343/.432/.571 and he still hit 3 HR's. In 1 month he's a quarter of the way to his hit total from all of last season. He did it all, just didn't quite have the power surge that Inky had.

We can be better and I'm sure May will see a better result.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote