View Single Post
Old 09-07-2022, 12:56 PM   #137
miami_fan
Coordinator

I agree with your last sentence. I just don't think the spending and keeping Tuchel as head coach are necessarily related.

IIRC part of the negotiations of the sale of the club was maintaining a certain level of spending not only in the transfer market/wages but also in the infrastructure. If that is correct, then they were spending millions regardless of who the manager/coach. That manager/coach distinction is important here as is Boehly being interim sporting director.

I could see a situation where Todd Boehly bought $300 million of players that fit his vision of how he wants to see the club play. I mean that is what a sporting director is supposed to do right? Of course I have no idea whether Boehly has a vision of how he wants the team to play or if his vision matched Tuchel's but that is besides the point. Manager Tuchel says Yeah, these players don't fit what I do and/or they are not good enough. I want this guy and not that guy. Boehly gives him one or two but expects the coach to make it work while being grateful for the $300 million worth of transfers that his sporting director provided for him. Tuchel complains publicly. Boehly fires him because a) he is not allowing the coach to throw shade at him in the press and b) he keeps hearing that the previous owner would not tolerate the way this season has gone so far so he has to prove that he won't tolerate it either.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote