View Single Post
Old 10-30-2022, 08:59 PM   #197
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
This is what frustrates me with MLS. They make a big deal about being a North America sports league and how the way we do things here involve playoffs. no relegation, etc. Cool, I may not like it but I can support what they are saying. All of a sudden we are introducing a group stage? A group stage grouped by conference? When did we start doing group stages in North America professional sports? Hell, if you just want to have more games, make each playoff series two out of three until MLS Cup. I am not a big fan of that either but at least that is something that is normal for North American sports.

Considering that the Univision audience for the MLS playoffs is usually larger than the U.S. network(s) audience, I'm not sure that normal for the U.S. matters as much.

As for "where is adding games more attractive", I can guarantee you that Apple looks at the average playoff game audience and looks at the average regular season game audience and quickly decides which type of game they want more of.