View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #436
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I have sympathy for him as well. I like to think I know how I would react in that situation, but I havent lived it so I cant say for certain.

Where we probably diverge is I think the officer should be held criminally liable for his actions. If we are to excuse an officer for protecting his life and killing an unarmed suspect "accidentally" then I think we have to also hold him accountable for not engaging a suspect and doing his job.

I think there was a recent Supreme Court decision on this that found that cops are not obligated to respond. I kind of agree that there should be some liability but it'd be tricky to implement.

It's what makes the armed security issue tough. You never know how people will react to real life situations. There are those in the military who no matter their training falter in combat situations. It's tough to expect the civilian population to act heroically in these situations.

Then you also have these orders and calls from a President who hid behind a doctors note when it was his time to serve. Just doesn't seem like there is an easy answer to any of this if the end result is if we're still allowing civilian access to military style weaponry.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote