View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
What is this - a game I've never heard of?

You're not alone. It is admittedly a very hard game to get into. PCWorld did a short review in November 2011(a major iteration or two ago). A few quotes to give you an idea of what we're in for here in this adventure:

Quote:
"The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games". This is an accurate description, and your reaction to that statement is a good gauge of your reaction to the game itself.

Quote:
insanely deep, complex, and unforgiving

Quote:
"Why are all my colonists dying on Mars?" Answer: Because I didn't bother to pack any life support gear for them. Aurora is happy to let you dump naked colonists on an airless world, or give a ship orders it doesn't have the fuel to complete, or send a warship into battle with no missiles loaded. I imagine that Aurora giggles in delight when you do this.

Quote:
To provide an idea of how complex Aurora is, understand that in most games of this type, you may research "Missiles" and discover "Fusion Missiles" and then "Anti-Matter Missiles" and so on. In Aurora, you research root technologies, such as warhead types, ECM, fuel efficiency, and so forth, and then you design a specific missile by making selections from many different categories, and then you perform a research project to learn how to build that missile, and then you start factories producing the missiles. I should also note you must design missile launchers and magazines as well, and then put them on an appropriate ship. You must also design the tracking systems to be used by the missiles, and decide which launchers are controlled by which sensors.

It is also, as the screenshots will soon demonstrate, very much like playing a spreadsheet from an interface POV. Some(though I disagree, having played and liked both) have found the interface far more impenetrable than that of Dwarf Fortress(which has 10 or 20 times the following that Aurora does, I'm assuming everyone in this thread has at least heard of DF).

I'm not discouraging anyone away from the game, just saying that it will require effort, a lot of it, in order to really begin enjoying the game at a high level, assuming it's the kind of thing you like to begin with. You are all now part of my journey as one who is fascinated by Aurora(and you don't have to deal with figuring it out anyway to have fun with this thread )

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 08-06-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote