View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 04:57 PM   #314
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Camp Results

A bit more wordy on the explanation here, but things got a little complex.

Col. Stephen Carruth's brigade, first in the 2nd Division of II Corps, was deemed the most worthy of getting first crack at the new Springfield M1855s. They're 83% of the way to their second star, the most capable unit still carrying the 1842s by a modest distance. That still left almost 2600 additional weapons to be divided between the now-seven brigades that carry them, while freeing up over 1500 of the 42 version as well.

I started with the new brigades; 8 of the 9 are infantry, with II Corps getting one cavalry unit. It soon became clear we'd need more guns than we have; about enough to equip six, not eight, infantry brigades were on hand. So I threw in a couple more upgrades; left less to be divided between existing units but that couldn't be helped. A small brigade in III Corps got the Springfield 1855, as did Moody finally(Loomis's Divison). Good things come to those who wait :P. These choices were all made by virtue of the next-most-deserving unit(in terms of skill), as I continue to aim to give weapons to those who know how to handle them(and are less likely to shatter in combat and waste the investment). It was more than I would have preferred spending, but one unit in II Corps gets an upgrade from the Springfield 42 to the Palmetto 42; we already had over half the guns they needed in the Armory but it still cost over $9k.

Once that was done there were over 5k Springfield 42s to go with the 7k+ Re-Bored Farmers. That figured to be enough to outfit 5 Farmers' brigades, 3 of the Springfields. The choice of who gets what was determined purely by random, as always -- I do the same thing for the officers.

** Pease(3rd brigade) is maxed; Moody +104 to 1553. York +132 men to 1341. Wright adds a 19th crew.

** Hagoods spent, Hunt spent, Devin's spent, Root spent also.
** Stuart(4th brigade) maxed, Sinclair(new 4th) exceeded max. spending on creation. Carruth, Rains, Tannatt, last two at about $2.5k.
** Truex(3rd brigade) and Cutshaw(4th brigade) maxed; Grose already upgraded, Appler spent,

I Corps

Race's Brigade -- +105, up to 919 men.

Scales' Brigade -- added a 15th crew, there's room for more but not the funding this time around.

Durrell's Divison

Kemper -- +86, now at 963.
Hoke -- Maxed out numbers-wise, so they just need more experience.
Lt. Col. Douglas Pease -- Unknown if he's related to the guy from Loomis's command one division further down. Debuts with 1494 infantry, Re-Bored Farmers.
Birney -- +33 to 623

Seymour's Brigade -- Adds the 16th gun crew.

Loomis's Division

** Moody -- Gets the upgrade to the 1855 Springfield, and adds 104 men to 1553 now.
** York -- +132, at 1341 men. Still haven't reached the goal of 1500 but we're getting there.
** Pease -- Maxed at 2k and nowhere to go yet.
** Lt. Col. Glen Gary debuts with 1786 men, drawing the good straw with Springfield 1842s.
** Wright -- Adds a 19th crew.

III Corps

Baldwin's Brigade

Siegfried still in command, and still efficiency-limited at 409.

Summary

Still some stuff in the armory but not enough to do anything with; it's pretty empty. Treasury is gone again($18) and we're down to 9,716 recruits. Used up about 60% of the pool we had. I Corps is up to 15k, 13k for II Corps, 14k for III Corps. So in terms of soldiers the army has been considerably expanded, and we've got relatively healthy balance across the different Corps. I don't think we could have done much better.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote