View Single Post
Old 12-18-2017, 08:54 PM   #333
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Just south of the ridge here there are more troops. We need to push roughly from east to west, cautiously, looking for opportunities on Jackson's flanks as described. BG S. Heintzelman now has another division and a half, 2nd and part of the third having joined him overnight along with the 1st that took part in yesterday's action. His supply wagon has also arrived, which is good because a couple of units are low on ammunition.

Lacking any compelling reason to do otherwhise, I'll keep the roughly 50-50 split and move the units along towards both flanks. Stony Ridge, which lies behind the rebel's expected defensive line, is our eventual objective. One thing is certain; this will be a long, bloody day.

** August 29, 1862, 8:00 AM. Initial troop estimates are 11k for us, over 18k for the rebels. I'll definiely be taking the proferred advice, and exercising caution, maximizing cover, etc.

** 8:26 AM. We encounter some infantry at the railroad in the north, somewhat east of where we expected to find them. We'll hold in the trees and see if we can push them back. It's a longer distance to march in the south as the ridge winds to the west more in that direction; they have still reported no contact.

A small cluster of buildings a bit further to the north, proved the best way to approach. There was another brigade there, but we concentrated fire and quickly routed them. Pushing forward on that flank, we were able to threaten the next brigade over and fire from superior position. It was not as rosy in the south.

Crossing that open space would not be healthy. I attempted to set up our artillery in range, but that's about it.

After we'd softened them up for a while, I risked what ended up being one of the most effective cavalry charges we've yet had. We lost a few dozen horsemen, but smashed another brigade. This let us broaden the hole we'd made in the north flank. A pretty successful morning overall.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote