View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 04:09 AM   #217
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

August 11, 2012
Blyth (0-0-0) vs Darlington (0-0-0)

It's showtime.

Our first match in BSB Premier has arrived, with expected midtable club Darlington providing the opposition at Croft Park. We'll be cautious, start in 4-4-2 Defensive posture. Darlington are 4:6 favorties, we're 7:2 dogs.

The lineup isn't optimal, we've got to consider the short turnaround before the match at rival Gateshead.

GK: Knight
D: Slaughter - Jones - Purvis - D'Laryea
MF: Phillips - Morrison - Sawyer - Whiteley
F: Chinthengah - Stamp
Bench: (Antwi, Abraham, Mole, Groves, McDonald)

24:30 - Phillips corner to the far post, Sawyer heads it over
34:13 - Slaughter does a nice job of drawing a yellow card on James Gray. Who knew a handful of shirt could be so devastating?
41:42 - Bellamy gets free on the right side of the area but misses badly, lucky for us

Halftime - Not the most thrilling half, but we seem to have our legs under us a bit now. Outshot 6-4, only 45% poss, only 57% passing, just terrible in that regard from the back line. On the bright side, Whiteley & Stamp have disrupted their offense with timely tackles repeatedly.

We flip Purvis & D'Laryea, switch to Counter

50:00 - Gray has to come off for Darlington, injured on a challenge by Purvis
51:00 - Chinthengah was denied after a lovely pass into the area by Sawyer
52:00 - Phillips corner to the far post is headed into the ground by D'Laryea ... takes a high bounce & Jones gets his head on it but it goes inches over ... that would have been magnificent

62:00 - Sub Mole for Stamp
67:00 - Bridge-Wilkinson shot hits the crossbar, so close, Slaughter clears
67:30 - Chinthengah gets a yellow card
68:30 - Sub Groves for Whiteley
73:30 - Purvis takes a nasty knock & needs lengthy treatment
Sub Abraham for Purvis (Groves to DR), switch to Defensive
89:00 - 4 mins of extra time
92:50 - Gavin shoots from the arc, Knight can only block it, Morrison punts it into the cheap seats to clear

Fulltime - I tell the boys they were just unlucky today, almost true & it's seems to motivate them a bit. Shots ended up even at 12, we had 49% poss. Passing improved a little (65% total) in the half and we tackled particularly well. Our problem was putting only 1 shot on target all match. Still, it's a point against a decent club, for now I'll take that & especially with the makeshift lineup we put out today.

Knight 6.5
Slaughter 6.9, Jones 6.8, Purvis 6.7, D'Laryea 7.1
Phillips 6.8, Morrison 6.9, Sawyer 6.7, Whiteley 6.7
Chinthengah 6.5, Stamp 6.4
Subs: Groves 6.7, Mole 6.6, Abraham 6.6

August 11, 2012 (post-match)
Fell tells me that it seems some members of the squad - Mole & McDonald in particular - are finding it tough to motivate themselves with me as their head coach.

I admit to the press that I thought the result was pretty fair considering we rested a number of key players.