View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #219
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

August 11, 2012
Blyth (0-1-0) at Gateshead (1-0-0)

I've been dreading this game since the schedules were revealed. We're still trying to figure out where we fit into the BSBP picture, still struggling to work new players into the lineup, we get an away match on television against our biggest rival. I'm surprised that they aren't bigger favorites than 4:7, with us as 4:1 dogs, especially with them coming off a 3-2 win over Mansfield in their opener.

I'm not particularly thrilled with the lineup I finally settle on either. A couple of players making their official debut with us, another (Hartley) that I honestly just don't trust, star forwards who are either becoming a bit arrogant (Mole) or are prone to long droughts (Armstrong) and at least one other (White) who can put up some real stinkers. But those are the best players available for tonight, so that's how we'll roll.

GK: Hartley
D: Martin - Antwi - Sinclair - Groves
MF: Matondo - White - Vipond - O'Connor
F: Mole - Armstrong
Bench: (Giddings, Mellish Slaughter, Chinthengah, Dovey)

3:00 - Ashikodi gets a good chance one on one with Hartley, he turns the shot aside & Antwi kicks it clear
15:00 - Light steady rain now falling
17:30 - A cross into the area produces a shot by Turnbull that Hartley blocks, but Ashikodi is on the doorstep for a rebound goal (0-1)
30:00- We're getting mauled, outshot 7-1 so far and they've had 2:1 possession
33:00 - Baxter sends in a corner, it's headed & saved, the rebound comes off of our defender White's head & goes right onto the noggin of Clark just a couple of feet from the goal (0-2)
39:00 - We flip flop Mole & Armstrong up front, switch to Counter ('cause defensive sure ain't working)

Halftime - Ugh. Outshot 13-2, they've had 63% of poss. nearly half their crosses are completed to none of ours. 6 of our guys have ratings under 6 at the break. We're switching to our 4-4-2 Standard and I let the players know that I expect a much better showing in the 2nd half. (I don't actually expect it, but they seemed largely fired up by the speech ... except for a now stressed Matondo)

46:06 - Cross into the area from the deep right corner, Adubade is on it & puts it between the ankles of Hartley (0-3)

50:15 - Armstrong loses a footrace to the ball but takes it away from the defender & cracks a shot ... off the woodwork. So close.

60:00 - We now have 10 players with ratings under 6, including Antwi (4.9) who has been spectacularly awful. Sub Mellish for Antwi, Chinthengah for Armstrong

78:00 - Sub Slaughter on for Vipond (Groves to MF, Sinclair to RD)

Fulltime - Despite the terrible outcome I thought we handled things mentally pretty well. Physically we left a lot to be desired, outshot 21-6, only 39% of poss. I hope this was just a case of Gateshead being quite good this season and not a sign of what sort of manhandling we'll see all season. Easily the worst beating we've taken in my tenure and the numbers reflect that. I'm sure the fans will be blistering my arse for weeks after this one.

GK: Hartley 6.0
D: Martin 5.6, Antwi 4.9, Sinclair 6.0, Groves 5.6
MF: Matondo 5.7, White 6.5, Vipond 5.7, O'Connor 5.7
F: Mole 6.6, Armstrong 5.6
Subs: Mellish 6.9, Chinthengah 6.4, Slaughter N/A

Aug 14, 2012 (postmatch)
I put on a brave face for the media and tell them this will hurt for a few days but then we get back to work & back on track. The fans are, as expected, devastated by the result & I acknowledge that I know how much these rivalry matches mean to them.