View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 09:37 PM   #183
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
FWIW, I was only making a comparison in terms of "TNA is the #2 promotion, ROH is probably #3, etc", i.e. only their relative position to their competition, nothing to do with buy rates, etc.

Judging from your phrasing above, WEC is currently what you consider the #2, which makes them basically TNA in terms of what I was talking about.

It's difficult to compare. WEC is absolutely no competition at all to the UFC as it's meant to be a sister promotion, and somewhat of a farm league. They have alot of talent but in different weight divisions. They don't run PPVs. You could take the majority of their talent and put them on a UFC card and nobody in the casual UFC crowd would know who they were. Plus the only exposure on TV they get is from the VS network, and to boot, while it won't happen, the UFC could shut them down anytime they wanted.

EliteXC on the other hand is actually moving in a direction to compete with the UFC, and as far as any of the north american promotions go, they're the only ones who look like they could make their own niche market. There are plenty of rumours and hype surrounding Mark Cuban, Oscar De La Hoya, and various other 'businessmen' who are going to revolutionalize MMA and compete with the UFC, but alas - none of them even have as much as a basic cable tv deal. (not counting the IFL which is a different beast altogether and on the verge of going out of business anyhow).
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote