View Single Post
Old 05-26-2006, 01:46 PM   #54
revrew
Team Chaplain

When week six rolled around, the Washington Redskins rolled into Birmingham, and went abruptly packing, a 27-13 loss tucked between their legs. Davis had gotten what he wanted, victories over New England and Washington in the same year. As far as he was concerned, we had already won the SuperBowl. "Finish off this year and make me proud," he said to me. At that point, I had gone back to being his "ol' friend" again, but I had not forgotten. I had not forgotten the way he sneered "friend" at me when he told me of how he had manipulated my son's premature birth to blackmail me. I had not forgotten how he ripped the heart out of the people of New Orleans. There was no word "friend" left in my vocabulary for Jeffrey Davis.

The team finished very strongly, many players playing hurt because of our lack of depth. We finished an impressive 13-3, wrapping up home field advantage for the playoffs. The Stars and Bars would be flying, no matter who came to town, and the Rebels were on the edge of the greatest moment in their short history.

Behind the scenes, however, commisioner Tagliabue and some reactionary congressmen were stirring up a hornet's nest that would plunge Jeffrey Davis and the Rebels into a quagmire of controversy.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote