View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #113
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Indiana and I just had one of those classic games that will make it hard for me to get to sleep... such an exciting game. Gilmore started out on fire and our defense forced an early interception to help us jump to a 14-0 lead. We managed to take a 21-0 lead by the end of the 1st. But, Kodos was fighting too and nail and he got right back into it as Gilmore threw an interception (his only incomplete pass of the night) and before I knew it, it was 21-14. We went back and forth in the 2nd quarter with both offenses moving the ball with ease. It looked like we were going to go into halftime up 35-28 (with Kodos scheduled to get the kickoff) but Drew Brown had a beautiful 89 yard TD return to end the half and give us a 42-28 lead at halftime.

In the 2nd half, the pace slowed down a bit but Kodos fought so hard to get the lead back. He tried a few surprise onside kicks but we fortunately got them. Late in the 3rd, it looked like Kodos was going to tie up the game but Jimmy Stewart, our star sophomore, had a key interception in the endzone as we broke out all of the stops and played him both ways this game...

That to me was a pivotal point that allowed us to get more comfortable with the lead. But, in the 4th, Kodos closed the gap again and managed to get a few stops on us. Before I knew it, we were only up by 7 and Kodos had gotten the ball back. His incredible long passing moved the ball again and he had a chance to score with a minute left...

He made an interesting tactical choice to try to run out the clock and passed up 2 opportunities to score. This backfired as we forced a fumble which we recovered on the next play. We ran out the clock and were glad to get out of there with the 63-56 win.

A few stats from the game:

Lawrence Gilmore was 21 of 22 for 248 yards with 6 TD's and 1 INT. His only incompletion was the 1 pick.

Gilmore also ran it 13 times for 91 yards and a TD.

Star speedster Stewart had 6 catches for 70 yards and 2 TD's. He also had the aforementioned pivotal interception in the endzone.

Kodos had both QB's in the gam as we injured his starter at one point... between them they passed for over 400 yards with lots of long bombs...

Gray is a beast and Kodos had a few plays that I had a hard time stopping even with the new scheme that I thought would work better than it did. He ran Gray 28 times for 266 yards and 2 TD's.

Wow. What a game.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote