View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 10:43 PM   #447
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
When they arrested Cruz he was unarmed.
Yes, and that officer had no backup, and still did his job despite not knowing if he was armed or not.
Quote:
A police cruiser passed, and Officer Michael Leonard spotted him. Maroon shirt, black pants - the description matched. But Leonard said he hesitated, just for a moment. Could this really be the mass shooter he was looking for? This 5-foot-7, 120-pound teenager?

"He looked like a typical high school student," said Leonard, of the Coconut Creek Police.

Leonard called out. The young man didn't run. He laid down on the grass, and the handcuffs went on.
I don't claim I would've done better in the SRO's shoes. I understand that a lot of people (and possibly me as well) freeze when faced with a combat situation like that. But in retrospect this certainly seems like the type of kid who could've been cowed by any authority figure standing up to him, and in the moment I can't imagine very many of the people who would go in when they heard kids being shot at being worried about the relative firepower.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote