View Single Post
Old 08-19-2004, 04:32 PM   #6
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I can't compare with that, my daughter has tantrums but I've kept them in check. We once went to Borders and after letting her look first for books, she wanted to sit and read, which I couldn't do because I wanted to browse (I had a stroller but she refused to sit in it). It began to escalate. I had always used counting to three to warn her, and I did tell her, that after 3 we we're leaving, no books. She kept her ground, and I kept mine, and after three, she was kicking and screaming as we left Borders. She apologized when I got her to the car, but I did not give in. From that point on, she behaved.

There were countless other times where we would spar. Mainly because my ex refused to parent, but I felt that is why my daughter and I have a closer bond, I spent time raising her, so I just shake my head when my ex complains about her misbehaving.

Incidently this is the low point of my life, my ex (who was cheating on me during our relationship) just asked me if I wanted to be invited to her wedding. I'm still shaking my head.

In your case, I think that there is an issue. But my question is, "Why did your son not want to flush the toilet?" My daughter is toilet training right now, and she's good at it, except for washing her hands, a constant reminder, and I don't just tell her to wash her hands, I explain why she needs to.

I remember seeing on 20/20 about hyperactive kids, and the need for structure. Like having a chart with chores on it, and giving him a star everytime he completes a task. Some kids need a lot of supervision, and a lot of structure, other kids simply learned the rules faster (like your daughter).

Best wishes to you though.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote