View Single Post
Old 08-19-2004, 05:07 PM   #12
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
I know it seems frustrating, but indoorsoccersim is right...boys will be boys. My 8 year old daughter was a treat to raise. Polite, thoughtful, kind...everything top notch. Out soon-to-be three year old boy? Balls to the wall. Hit, spit, bite, yell, run, etc. That's not to mean you shouldn't do anything...my thought on our boy is to keep trying to enforce our rules and while we don't want to let up on anything, we should also understand that he's not his sister. If that mean having to repeat ourselves a dozen times, so be it....I'm not going to punish him simply for being a boy, but I'm also not going to 'reward' his behavior by chalking him up to a no-win situation and attribute it all to his gender. Keep the structure up and eventually the rambunctious phase will end. Hopefully some of the discipline that is ignored now will be heeded later.

I agree with this as well, VPI. This whole situation is made more difficult by this exact scenario. Is he just being a 5 year old boy and we're just freaking out because we're too uptight? Are we the worst parents ever (which my wife sometimes thinks) because no "good" parent would have a child like this.

We've done some research on him and we think that he's an "active alert" child. Meaning, he has very little understanding beyond his own self and constantly pushes boundaries. It mentions that extremely driven people are sometimes active alert, so they sometimes grow up to be athletes, CEOs, etc. It also says that since they have no boundaries they are also much more likely to become violent, get arrested, experiment with drugs, etc. We have a lot to look forward to .
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote