View Single Post
Old 08-19-2004, 05:52 PM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
the only area we are having trouble is potty training. he just doesn't want to do it, and gets terrible upset if we force the issue. we've tried EVERYTHING. both his friends (9 and 13 months older) have been potty trained for some time, and he knows this. he knows everyone uses the potty. he knows he gets his beloved M&M's if he sits on the potty, but he just wont do it.

You're probably gonna hate me for this, but ... 10 days, no accidents after day 3, one of the easiest things in the world as it turned out.

The trick? A double motivation.
1) We had an impending family vacation coming up. He wanted to play in the hotel pool, we agreed ... provided he was potty-trained well enough to be in swim trunks, not swim diapers.
2) "Big boy underwear". Spotting a 3-pack of Buzz Lightyear printed drawers was a big-time motivator (because they don't/didn't make those in pull-up diapers) for him. We must have bought 20 pair of underwear of favorite characters/themes for him in the first month or so, we were so relieved that the process went so easily.

While I'm a firm believer in "they'll mostly train themselves when the time is right", I figured these might be worth sharing just in case you haven't tried one of them already.