View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 10:33 PM   #157
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

It is mid-afternoon when we pass by a small village with a an area by the road with many carts and wagons, plus a sign that reads:

ARCHERY TOURNAMENT
ENTRANCE FEE: 2 GOLD CROWNS
FIRST PRIZE: THE SILVER BOW OF DUADON

I choose to enter. Cyrilus offers to stay with the horses, probably to take a nap. I wait in line and pay my two gold crowns. Do I have a bow? Yup.

Okay, before we move to this, allow me to talk about Dever’s annoying writing for a bit. In his book he begins doing something which really annoys me. He changes the facts based on what you do. This isn’t the first time he’ll do it, but he does it in all sorts of ways. For example, in book 5, when you fight Darklord Haakon, if you drop your Sommerswerd and do not pick it up, or do not have it at all, the creature he summons to fight you is much weaker than if you pick up the Sommerswerd, but why? Wouldn’t he want to summon the most powerful creature he could, either way? But at least in that case, it’s based on what someone does, but Dever will start changing facts. For example, if you try to find the owner of the horse after the archery contest, the owner is the Judge if you lost and Altan if you win. Here’s another, if I do the archery tournament, then after all of the time to do the tournament, rounds, speech if you win, when you come out, Cyrilus is just being snatched. But if you skip, a mile down the road you go into a ruined castle and come out like ten or fifteen minutes later and Cyrilus is snatched, but it doesn’t even make that much sense for him not to come in with you. Here is another example, when they take Cyrilus, they take both of your horses from the archery, but only his at the Castle. It feels like the book is cheating.

Normally I don’t find out, or it’s not too bad, but I am about to miss out on the Bronin Warhammer from that castle, or if I skip the tourney to get it, miss the Silver Bow of Duadon. Grrr. Do I cheat the book a little, or just ignore and miss an item I really want? Sigh. I really want the Warhammer…wah…wah…wah. I have always taken the Silver Bow and missed the Bronin Warhammer, so I’ve never had it. Fine, I am taking the Warhammer just this time, but you will see me integrate it into the story.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote