View Single Post
Old 08-15-2021, 05:25 PM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

For me, it depends on the type of game.

If it's a 2D/3D physics and AI determines everything type of game (something that looks like Football Manager), I want full-blown real NFL type play calls. Every Madden is too basic. I want the real deal with play calling in a game like that. Route adjustments from running a different route to just adjusting the route. Like you run a slant vs. zone, the WR cuts sharper, a Post route converts to more like an In route if there's a free safety in the middle of the field, etc. QBs read the defense (not makes a saving throw, but the AI is actually reading the defense) and makes adjustments, etc. And these adjustments are built into the play usually.

If it's like FOF, where it's a bunch of dice rolls, I'd want more abstract type of play calling. This is probably an unpopular opinion and 100% contrary to what I might have said at the time, but actual plays and playbooks in FOF killed my interest in the game. It got old and frustrating very quickly. I feel like it just added too much detail relative to the type of game FOF was overall. For a game like FOF, I'd prefer play calling to be by play type of maybe even by concept. Like you call a Dagger Concept or a Mills Concept or Trap Run and the game works out the rest from there (IOW have the offense be more like the defense in FOF), rather than detailed, individual plays. Just my wrong opinion...
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote