View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 03:51 AM   #23
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

8.22.18 Stuttgarter Kickers vs. SG Wattenscheid 09
Prestige Cup Qualifying Round

The tickets for the early rounds of the Prestige Cup, as well as the experience gained, are a whopping triple those for a normal Amateur League match. Also, we've gotten the best possible draw, against the only team we have a chance to beat. Wattenscheid has leveled up faster than us ... but none of them even have their first position specialization yet. That gives us a big advantadge. I'm confident that with Komolong's new found adequacy, we have an excellent chance at keeping them from scoring ... and a small chance of manufacturing a goal for ourselves. Another scoreless draw like our last match is the most likely, but we just might steal a win. And if we do that, we've got a good shot at moving on to the next round of the competition, which would be a major xp boon for our fledgling club -- while limiting the growth of our only real rival at this point. That's why I called this the most important match of the year. Komolong and Hirsch are still not back to their full energy complement; I may have to bring on a sub later, but we'll see how that goes.

As you can see, it's raining -- our first match in that kind of weather. Passing suffers and fouls are more likely. We won't want to take any unnecessary risks. This here is the biggest hurdle on our best chance of scoring. Mengele is going to make the attempt. Pfeiffer is the better shooter, but shooting isn't the problem; it's getting close enough to do so against the 5-wide defensive line. Mengele has better control, so he has a chance, although the odds are definitely against us, of dribbling past this weakest point.

And he pulls it off!! Eureka! Rolled a 6 and only a 4 for the defender.

Our final action of the first turn of the game. He has just better than a 50-50 chance due to an open look from fairly close range against a keeper who doesn't know what he's doing. Precision here of course ...

6 vs. 7. Pretty good roll for us, and anything but a 7 would have resulted in a score but their keeper is equal to the challenge. That's bad luck for us when we needed just one more stroke of good fortune. Now we can only focus on defense ... we will probably not get another shot today as only a kickoff presents enough time to get into position.

They get it up for a shot, but Doringer blocks it away. They foul Hirsch in an attempt to get the ball back, which gives me enough time to get Mengele another shot, but this one has a defender in the way who intercepts the attempt. I put on Blank in midfield at intermission. We won't lose much there and Hirsch is gassed.

58 minutes into a still-scoreless match. After they start the second half with another long-range shot with the same results as the first one, I have Blank hold the ball at midfield ... and they foul him. This gives me a chance to try the same maneuver as before with Mengele. Incredibly, he dribbles by again ... and Sancaktar again rolls a max-7 on the save. Twice in a row we win a dribble against a superior defender and fail a shot against an inferior keeper. These chances are so few and far between for us.

They shoot again, and once again can't get through our initial line, and that's it.

Stuttgarter Kickers 0, SG Wattenscheid 09 0

Either somebody scores in our third matchup on the away leg in a few weeks, or this will go to penalties.

50 XP for those who played the full match, triple what we get for a draw. Only one player who appeared(Hirsch) didn't level up.

*** Ortag
** Mengele
* Doringer

Schwarz, one of our older players, becomes our first Amateur Defender. This completes our tour through the four Amateur-level classes. And this is an important one; along with the usual skill acquisition, he can intercept shots on adjacent tiles. Those trying to fire through our line in his vicinity will find increased resistance. Reaction is his skill; Long Pass and Layoff Pass were the other choices. The others who haven't reached their amateur classifications are now getting close, we should see more progression soon.

15 euros a head here, and if we'd scored either one of our two shots, we'd have gotten four Glory out of it with the bonus for winning a Cup match. Arglebargle. This nearly doubles our balance to approach 1200 euros. I could buy a player now ... but I want to let all of you decide what, if anything, to spend our cash on. We're approaching the end of your 'probationary period'. Also the draw stopped the bleeding on the fans front, at least for now.

8.26.18 Stuttgarter Kickers(0-1-5, 8th) vs. 1. FC Schweinfurt 05(3-2-1, 3rd)

This is our last stop on the tour of the amateur league foes. Both Hirsch and Blank are quite tired, but we run Hirsch out there anyway. We have over two weeks off after this, so he can rest then. He's getting more experience if it kills him.

Here's our setup. They have a proper defense so we have no shot to score, but on the other end we have something to build around. Schwarz is positioned in the middle of the line to intercept a long-range shot from any direction, and if their forward dribbles into his vicinity which seems likely, our next-best Scepanik, who actually is a bit better in terms of defense rating, is positioned behind him. The other forward isn't good enough to dribble into our defense. We're starting to actually be able to try some things which have a chance at stopping a half-decent amateur opponent.

Big moment here, 36 minutes in. Early in the first half, Bodenheimer mixed it up with our defense. We eventually go the ball back, but he got behind us in the process and one of their midfielders later used the Long Pass skill to penetrate the formation. This is Komolong's first save ... and just barely as you can see. If they'd gone Precision instead of Power shot here they would have been more likely to score, but the AI likes to create corner opportunities and stay on the attack when they can. We dodge a bullet, and the rebound just bounces off to the other side of the box. Another attempt at the same tactic is foiled when Jager intercepts a pass at the end of the half.

All of that is put at naught though when Bodenheimer dribbles through Abruscia after the second-half kickoff, then puts a shot through everyone else. More resistance than before, but it still wasn't enough for us. Jager features prominently again, playing opposite that twirp and keeping him from getting through our defense the rest of the way.

Stuttgarter Kickers 0, 1. FC Schweinfurt 05 1

Jager and Mengele both reach Level 5.

*** Jager
** Hirsch
* Landeka

Specialization Upgrades Galore!

-- Pfeiffer(F) will learn Cannon Shot. Head Play and Slide Tackle are the longer ones.
-- Jager(D) gets Head Play. I doubt anyone tries many crosses against us at this level but he'll be ready if they do. Slide Tackle and Layoff Pass as well.
-- Abruscia(D) gets Layoff Pass. Olympic Kick(a powerful ability allowing a direct score from corner kicks, which we haven't seen yet and Head Play were the others.

** 192 more euros, 26 fans now(-6).

With the transfer window closing, we get a look at the top activity. There were none in the Amateur League. We can laugh at the stupid amounts of money we could only dream about from the top activity in th Premier League. We're only told about our current league and the premier; First through Third aren't included in this report.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote