View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 03:32 PM   #411
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

“Do the Jaguars even draft by the same rules as the rest of the league? I mean sure, lots of teams trade on draft day to pick up talent that has fallen that meets their needs. There were seven 1st round draft deals today alone – only 2 by the Jaguars. But the Jags really seems to know how to target players effectively. They traded and picked up top talent at places you normally have to invest high draft picks to acquire and filled two needs in doing so. Then they grabbed an absolute steal at the back of the 2nd round and the best K to enter the league in what, three years, maybe four? Definitely a powerful draft. They could easily have found four future pieces for their team going forward. I grade it A+”

We move to Late FA

We still need:

2 RB, one starter if possible
2 WR, or one Menzies and one WR
DE
2x CB
Maybe LB

Alright, what is rocking the block?

I make an offer to RB Steve Conley, a 2nd year 42/42 UFA from last year that the Redskins dropped.

These UFA:

RB Deron Downs
RB Bo Apolonio
QB Caden Kubrak
WR Damian Geathers
WR Sammy Schulz
LT Tyrone Barlow
CB Phillip Magar
CB Kaden Richard
WR Kim Riley
MLB Ronnie Duran
DE Jake Campbell

Kim might be a future Darnell Menzies. We’ll see post camp. Meanwhile Ronnie could be a future LB gunner like Gati or players like Okabi before him.

That’s a lot of UFA talent to bring in, I know!

Stage 1 – We sign 4 players to our roster. I fend off offers from some of our UFA by offering a small bonus, and I also up our deal to RB Conley to fight through three other teams.

Stage 2 – We sign 6 more players, including RB Conley.

Stage 3 – Our last target comes in. I’ll head to camp, and if Kim Riley looks like Darnell Menzies then I’m all set. If not, I can sign him.

Anyone else out there that fell through the cracks and is pretty solid and cheap? Nah.

Now, pre-Camp, do I need to massage my roster a bit? Or are we good at 4-3?

We are officially staying with a 4-3 roster. It’s working, and I’m afraid of losing rush stats with DE Rogers and Burton.

I move Zimmerman to regular DT and SLB Ellwood to WLB.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote