View Single Post
Old 07-23-2005, 06:09 PM   #1
Passacaglia
Coordinator

FM: Four young coaches take on Europe

I've always thought it would be fun to take an FM game, and follow more than one coach through their careers, see where they meet, etc. I started this a little bit with three coaches, but now I'm going to expand it to four -- that way, I can set up friendly tournaments between the coaches. The coach names are taken from character names I've used from playing on MUDs.

The first is also my FOFC screen name, Passacaglia. A passacaglia is a medieval style of music and dance, so this coach will be Italian. As a result, I'll be including Italy in my leagues.

The second is from another medieval style of music and dance, this time from Spain, named Chaconne. Chaconne will be Spanish, and Spain will be included in my leagues.

The next two coaches will be my reason for including England. There's Athol -- I got this name from the song Athol-Brose by the Cocteau Twins, but I knew nothing about it. A little research from a baby names site revealed the name to be of Scottish origin. The last is Amadaun, which is the name of a Celtic band from my hometown, Grand Rapids. I don't think they're around anymore, but they do good work. Anyway, this coach will be Irish. Since I'm more interested in the larger leagues, I'm not including Scotland and Ireland -- England will be their home turf.

Anyway, I'm still a bit of a noob with FM and soccer in general, so I'd like input from all you guys! My first decision is how far down I should go in each country. In England, I'm thinking Conference National -- I know that I can get jobs in League Two, but including one more league doesn't seem like a big deal. In Spain, I'm not sure -- I save essentially four leagues by not including Division B2, but that might mean that my Spanish coach might have trouble finding jobs. The same goes for Italy -- if I do just Serie B, that's only two leagues, but there's not much opportunity. It's more of a sliding scale here, since Serie C1 has two more leagues, and Serie C2 has three more. I'm a bit concerned with speed, since my puter is slow, but on the other hand, I don't want all the coaches to have to resort to Conference National in England -- they should be able to start at home.

Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote