View Single Post
Old 01-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #65
hoopsguy
General Manager

Opening drive, we string together 3 first downs - one for each QB and one for Brown. Down to the Cal 13 with a 4th and 1. A false start penalty makes this an easy call. McMullen is good from 36, 3-0 with 11:18 left in the quarter.

McMullen puts the kickoff out of bounds, Cal starts at the 40.
Six plays later Cal is in the end zone - 18 yard screen to cap the drive. Glover was 3-3 for 39 yards on the drive. 7-3, 8:39 left in quarter.

Burford gets crushed on a sack where we were called for holding.
But on the next play he spots WR Dan Brown open down the sideline. He throws a strike and we have a 79 yard TD! 10-7, 6:53 left in quarter.

Another short field for Cal as we give them 15 yards on a face mask. They start at midfield.
OLB Travis Wilcox comes up with a big sack on 3rd down, knocking Cal out of field goal range.
They pin us on our 6 with the punt.

Two running plays result in a safety after losses on each. Ugh. 10-9, 3:35 left in the quarter.

And the Ugh is compounded when Cal takes the kickoff 80 yards for a score! 16-10, 3:02 left in the quarter.

Edwards completes back to back passes for big gains, to Stablein and Jackson. Jackson fought hard to make his 34 yard grab, shedding the tackler and picking up extra yards.
Edwards comes through on 3rd and 11, finding TE Larscheid for 13 yards, down to the 6.
We pick up back-to-back illegal motion penalties, but Cal gives it back by roughing the passer.
Brown, who has gotten nothing since the opening drive, fumbles on a big hit but we recover at the 9.
McMullen comes in for a 21 yard FG attempt and misses it. He will be cut after this game.

The defense makes a stop near midfield.

Another penalty on offense, up to 5 now in the early part of the 2nd quarter.
FB Hagood Morris bursts for 24 yards on a 3rd and 16.
Brown picks up one on 3rd and 2 - he now has 35 yards on 16 carries.
We punt it away.

Cal is a machine on the next possession, moving the chains relentlessly until they hit our 10. A fourth and goal at the 2? Go for it, TD, 23-10 with 3:18 to go in half.
Glover is 10-11 on the day for 99 yards and 2 TDs.

3 and out, game is not looking good so far ...

The defense responds, with Banducci recording a sack on 3rd down. 3 and out.

Edwards, who is still getting 40% of the snaps, throws one to the wrong team. Cal gets the ball at our 36 near the end of the half.

One play drive for Cal, 3rd TD pass for Glover. 30-10, 0:19 left in half.

Halftime Notes:
McMullen is cut and Edwards will only play if there is an injury for the remainder of the year. I've had more than enough of both of these guys hurting our team, despite their talent.
Cal has totally shut down our run game since the openeing drive and I don't see a lot of runs in the 2nd half now that we are down 3 TDs.
We've actually outgained Cal and have a small time of possession advantage. Both stats are meaningless.

Glover to Kulbacki is clicking to start the 2nd half, connecting twice for 20+ yard plays.
They are also running the ball well, finishing this drive with a 4 yard scamper. 37-10, 10:31 remaining in 3rd.

We come out running, while down 27 points, and pick up a couple of first downs.
A holding penalty, followed by a pass interference call, set up a 2nd and 34. End of drive. Punt.

3 and out for Cal.

Our passing game is clicking on the next drive, back to back first downs for Jackson and Larscheid. We are down to the 20 before we start moving backwards on a busted run and a sack.
McMullen, dead man walking, hits a 48 yard field goal. 37-13, 1:14 left in 3rd.

Cal runs some clock at the start of their next drive, then decides to finish us off with a 53 yard scoring strike. 44-13, 14:11 left in the game.
Glover is now 16-22 for 252 yards, 4 TDs and 0 INTs.

Edwards is sacked and fumbles, Cal gets the ball on our 20.

Cal faces a 4th and 2 on our goal line and sets up a screen. Because being up 31 points, and adding 3 more, isn't enough. We stuff them.

Brown fumbles, giving Cal the ball on our 23.

Again Cal goes for it on 4th and 2. This time they convert, setting up 1st and goal.
RB Chat Chatman hits 100 yards on this drive.
Cal finishes it with a 24 yard field goal. 47-13, 6:01 to play.

Holding wipes out a first down, so we have a 3 and out.

Cal adds a 38 yard field goal. 50-13, 1:35 left in this debacle.

In true UCLA fashion, we pick up a garbage time TD. 70 yards from Burford to Stablein. 50-20, 0:41 left.

It is official - my team has given up on me for the year. I guess I won't need to feel guilty when I revamp the coaching staff in the offseason.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote