View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #59
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

A couple of bon mots from team notebook:

One of the kids moms showed up Tuesday night hammered. She came up to talk to me after practice with a 32 ounce tumbler full of vodka, most of which had already been consumed. Luckily the team mom's saw my dilemma, and made sure she didn't drive the player home, by driving them home. The vodka was so strong from the glass, it was stinging my eyes.

It looks like Andrew and Garett go to the same school, and have major issues with each other. Andrew is 130 pounds and the sweetest kid I ever met. Garett is 65 pounds and seems angry. I notice they glare at each other during practice, but that is normal when you are beating each other up 6 hours a week. But, the history is, that Garett runs around with a bully around school. They get into trouble. Apparently, Andrew comes to the aid of kids when the bully goes on his rampage. Garett is the friend of the bully, so the hatred is transferred to Andrew. Apparently, on Monday, Garett and the bully walked into the restroom and saw Andrew washing his hands. They called Andrew a "loser", and Andrew maintained his composure but seethed the past few days. He told his dad, "I am calling out Garett during drills, and when I pound him in the dirt, I am going to ask him who the loser is now."

How to handle this?

Option 1: Do nothing and let it work itself out, as every team has these types of things happen.

Option 2: Put them on each other as much as possible to let them fight the anger out of them.

Option 3: Do buddy events that force them to talk, interact, and get to know each other as people.

Option 4: Sit them down and lecture them on teamwork and being cohesive as a team.

Option 5: Run them every time I hear of a school altercation.

Option 6: Use their hatred of each other as a motivational tool
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Last edited by Senator : 09-18-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote