View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 05:36 AM   #75
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I didn't have this problem last year, and maybe I just got unlucky this season.

Derek is out from his asthma. Wil called me on my way to practice,

"Coach, I don't feel good and will miss practice tonight, my mom is right here and asked I call you."

"Wow, Wil, I am sorry to hear that. You have missed one or two practices a week, is everything ok?"

"Yeah, I just don't feel good. I will see you Tuesday."

"Well, today is only Thursday, are you going to miss the game on Saturday?"

"Yeah, I will feel bad until then."

"Can I talk to your mom?"

"She is in the bathroom, now."

"Please tell her I will call her later."

16-2 = 14.

Practice starts. We must work on stopping that sweep. We put little Payton in at LB to teach him his assignments since Derek is out. He says he is having an asthma attack. His mom comes over and says she is taking him home.

14-1= 13.

We do some half lines and fit and freeze drills with the remaining players. Then Tyler tells his dad he is sick and has to go home.

13-1 = 12.

We work on wrapping up, Jack hit Clayton with a good tackle. Clayton starts crying he broke his hand. He tells his mom he wants to go home. His hand is not broke but the coaches and I see what is spreading among the players. Clayton cries dramatically until they leave.

12-1= 11.

The 11 who remain include 5 kids that were probably going to play minimum plays because of experience and talent. We repped them the best we could, but I really think we might be beat by 30 points on Saturday because these kids need to fed into football slowly and in the right situations. Playing a full game on both sides of the ball, will be asking way more than they should be asked at this point in their development.

I don't recall in any year coaching going through something like this.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Last edited by Senator : 09-26-2008 at 05:38 AM.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote