View Single Post
Old 08-24-2018, 07:41 AM   #10
revrew
Team Chaplain

With the 2025 NFL draft in the books, all eyes turned to Des Moines, Iowa, and the NFL 2025 expansion draft!

The birth of the Dragons was livestreamed through Joker.com and broadcast by a bevy of ESPN hosts in a full day of live network coverage and commentary. Several talking heads, former players, insiders, and experts brought their witty banter into play as predictions swirled for how Jack Ledger would give shape to the newest NFL team:

Mike Greenberg: "Before the Dragons are on the clock, Adam Shefter, what are you hearing from other teams and GMs around the league?"

Adam Shefter: "I'm hearing a lot of nervous GMs, Mike. Especially over this rule that allows the Dragons to select from rookies that were just drafted. A ton of research and investment goes into each team's draft pick, and there are two teams today who are most likely going to lose their second-round picks only a week after they picked their guys."

Todd McShay: "Obviously, no team is going to like losing out on a second-rounder, but there is a bit of a silver lining for those teams. If their second rounder is taken, they can immediately protect the rest of their draft AND five veterans off their available list. With the Dragons having access to as many as 15 veterans from each team, taking 5 guys off the table is huge."

Greenberg:
"And don’t forget, if the Dragons take a veteran, rather than a rookie, from a team, that team can immediately protect 5 players as well, including their rookies. If the Dragons take a veteran, that team can protect their second rounder. Or their second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth, if that's the way they want to do it."

Shefter: "To be honest, I'm hearing GMs say that's exactly what they're hoping for. I spoke to a few teams that are dangling a pricey veteran out there on the unprotected list as bait, hoping the Dragons will bite. That way the Dragons eat the salary, AND the losing team can safeguard most of their draft class in one, fell swoop."

Greenberg: "Clever strategy, Adam. And the Dragons are going to have to be clever as well, if they have eyes on more than one player from any team. It's a cat and mouse game, and the cat, if you will, is going to be let out of the cage in just a few minutes. Back after this."
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote