View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #70
revrew
Team Chaplain

Dragons Pre-Season Preview
Dick Grayson, sports reporter, Des Moines Register

Training camp for the Des Moines Dragons has come to a close, the NFL preseason schedule is about to begin, and it's time for a look back at what we've learned about the all-Iowa roster.

Training camp highlights

All eyes are typically on the rookies, but it's awfully difficult to discern how well offensive linemen will play based on camp performances. So far, first rounder Dashawn O'Connell is looking solid, and he will likely push veteran RT Malachi Ellison for playing time. And though he's not as physical as the other members of the secondary, Iowa CB Calvin Minnig is smart beyond his years and nothing short of explosive in the return game. The Dragons may have gotten a steal, snagging Minnig in the third round of the draft. Fourth round pick, S Riley Brock, showed a good nose for the football with some showy picks in camp and could push to provide some playmaking punch at dimeback.

As for the veterans, the most outstanding performance came from MLB Dale Griffin, who is flying all over the field, and I daresay, at only 24 years of age, has the look of a cornerstone leader and possible all-star player for the Dragons. The other player that impressed was 22-year-old DE Ricardo Heuring. The "Man-child," who led the Dragons in sacks last year as a 6'5", 295-pound, peach-fuzzed 21-year-old, is starting to grow into his size 14 shoes. His ability to get around the corner and get to the QB is really starting to develop. Not bad for the final pick of the expansion draft!

Training camp question marks

The biggest problem last year was offense, and it's hard to see how it's not going to be an Achilles' Heel again. The receiving corps continues to struggle against the Dragons' accomplished secondary, and while GM Jack Ledger added depth at the O-line in the offseason, he didn't bring in the kind of game-changers that one would think could ignite last year's stagnant O.

Predictions
The Vikings are still the class of the NFC North, and it's hard to see the 3rd overall pick, QB Ross Jamison, being enough to lift the Packers out of the basement, especially in his rookie year. This leaves the Bears and Dragons to duke it out for a wildcard spot, and I'm afraid that without big improvements on offense, the Dragons will miss out on the postseason again.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote