View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 07:56 AM   #81
revrew
Team Chaplain

Hope for the Dragons?
Dick Grayson, sports reporter, Des Moines Register

There isn't much joy in Altoona these days. At 3-5, the Des Moines Dragons aren't completely out of the playoff picture, but their chances look dim.

Could there yet be hope for this season?

Let's be honest. This team is mostly dead. Not quite dead. But mostly.

The biggest problem, of course, is the rookie class, which has failed to make any sizeable impact. Granted, GM Jack Ledger's first-round pick was an offensive lineman, and his performance has been solid, but a team that lacked playmakers last year still lacks them after an offseason that didn't bring any new spice into an already bland mix.

The Dragons' leading receiver has one touchdown. One. TE Kelvin Satterfield, who may be a sweet grape just rotting on the vine in Des Moines, has none. To go with his one from last year. The team leader in sacks, Ricardo Heuring, has a total of 4 this season. And only two players have even a single interception.

In many ways, the wheels have fallen off the bus.

But these things I hold as bright on the horizon: First, I have seen with my own eyes that MLB Dale Griffin is a stud. So is SS Mitch Plante. The secondary is collectively strong (when they aren't decimated by injuries, which seems like often). And second, after the Week 9 bye, last year's hero, QB Nathaniel Witt, is expected to return from injury.

Will it be enough? Last year, Witt led the Dragons to just short of the finish line. It was a truly legendary feat of will. This season, it may take more than that. It may take a miracle.

Statistical NFL Rankings for the Dragons at halfway point:

Rushing O: 13th
Passing O: 24th
Total O: 27th
Scoring: 30th
Turnover margin: 30th
Rushing D: 9th
Passing D: 5th
Total D: 2nd
Scoring D: 15th
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote