View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(Community) Roll For Initiative: The Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG Dynasty

So, recently released (on both PDF and in print) is Goodman Games's (Goodman Games) Dungeon Crawl Classics, which is an early AD&D sensibility combined with 3E-based rules.

They have a very unique recommended method of generating characters.

Step 1: Roll 3d6 six times, assign stats in order as follows: Strength, Agility, Stamina, Personality, Intelligence and Luck (that's right, no arranging to fit, no point buy, no drop lowest die, etcetera. This game as the name states, is OLD school. Luck

Step 2: Roll a d100 (or choose) for your character's occupation. This does not mean his class, but what he did before becoming an adventurer.This determines what (if any) weapon you're trained in, and what (if any) trade goods you carry.

Step 3: Determine Alignment: (Lawful, Neutral or Chaotic. There is no good/evil axis)

Step 4:Add the following touches:

A) 1d4 HP, modified by stamina
B) 5d12 Copper Pieces
C) One random piece of equipment
D) One piece of equipment and one weapon that you're trained with according to your occupation (see step 2)
E) An attack and save modifier of +0.

Congrats, you've created your very own 0-level adventurer wanna be!

What's that you say? "O-level characters are awful. A pussycat can kill them. How the heck do you expect me to play with a character this bad?"

Well, that's the kick. The game recommends that you create two to four of them for the first game. It is likely that some or most of your characters will die in that first game. From the survivors form a true adventuring party, first level characters who from humble beginnings will grow and shake the world! (or be eaten by some horrible creature in a crypt below ground.. actually the whole being eaten thing is still more likely, Level 1 is miles better then 0-Level, but it's nowhere near EASY Street mind you.)

Once a 0-level character hits 10 XP, they can select a class and gain all the benefits of a 1st level character.

So the very brief storyline behind this Dynasty is as follows: The tiny hamlet of Karstings is under attack from a small travelling band of Orcs. The Karstings "militia".. (that is every person able to understand that you try to put the pointy end of the weapon into the enemy) has been called out to defend the town.

Rules to participate:

We will have a maximum of six players (24 0-level PC's in all). If there's more then five, I guess I'll have to create a second dynasty..

Use the "Party of Four" generator available at the Purple Sorcerer website:

Dungeon Crawl Classics 0-Level Party Generator

Copy the results here, giving each member of your "Party of Four" a name.

I'm going to post mine, but if I need to be DM only (IE, we get max players), I'll drop my players.

If your full party of four all gets killed, generate a fresh Party of Four (it'll be assumed they've either just shown up at the town, was too busy being craven and hiding in their homes, etcetera)

My Party Of Four will be posted in the next post.

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote