View Single Post
Old 03-08-2020, 12:53 PM   #380
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Where would quarantines work the most effectively? Authoritarian places like China.

20 minutes ago, I told my wife that a China-like quarantine would be hard to implement in the US because people believe pretty deeply in their personal freedom. I don’t really think it’s selfishness as much as it is culture.

Re: all the political stuff, honestly all anyone should want is for our government to be open and transparent about what’s going on, for them to provide states with the resources they need, and to provide us with the best possible advice based on medical professionals and infectious disease experts. I don’t think that’s too much to ask. I’m not confident that’s what we’re going to get based on the initial response, but hopefully there’s still time to mitigate this as best we can.

I’m not personally concerned about contracting the virus, I’m reasonably healthy as are the rest of my immediate family, but I’m starting to get worried about the health care system getting overwhelmed by this and what that would mean for treating other medical issues that occur, along with other community problems (supply disruptions and the like).
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote