View Single Post
Old 11-12-2020, 08:06 AM   #266
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker
My point is that small government and anti-war are two areas that get touted a lot but have essentially no real coalition or power in this country. Mostly just a bunch of fakes.

I see this is as building mighty castles in the air based on flawed single-factor analysis. If you look at it from the standpoint of voting political power, then the only groups who have any power at all are pretty much opposition to whoever's been in charge for a while and perceived economic conditions. Nothing else really has enough power to swing anything. Under that way of viewing our system, we might as well stop talking about virtually all political issues. Racism, the environment, foreign policy, you name it can all just go away as well. Reality is more complex.

That doesn't mean people don't care about issues in varying amounts and degrees. I think the anti-war crowd had an impact during Obama's presidency, and small-government types did in Trump's (most obviously during COVID). There's just a massive gap between 'we care about this and only this is enough numbers to swing national elections' and 'we mostly just say we care about this but don't really'. There are multiple issues at play for most people, the natural human bias towards a candidate who does things we like on unrelated issues, etc.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote