Old 10-13-2007, 07:46 PM   #470
molson
General Manager

WORLD CLASS WRESTLING (TV TAPING)
Tuesday, Week 1, May 1984
Dallas, TX (Small Venue)
Expected Attendance: 5,009; Ticket Prices: Default
Actual Attendance: 5,000 (SOLD OUT)

-I've finalized my timing plans of the tv show situation. Next week will be the last TV show under my current contract. That'll give me about 3 weeks to find something else (and hopefully better) until the networks announce their new season schedule at the end of the month. If I don't find anything in that time, it means a 3 months minimum without TV. So the stakes are big.

-Pre-Show Dark Segment
Lance Russel interviews Mike Von Erich & Tommy Rodgers about their upcoming tag team match with Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts. They know it's a huge challenge, but they say they'll do their best. (C-)

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Buddy Roberts & Terry Gordy defeat Mike Von Erich & Tommy Rodgers in 6:46 when Gordy pinned Rodgers. (B-). Mike was tiring towards the end of the match. Gordy's performance stood out.

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Doug Sommers defeated Owen Hart in 4:39 by pinfall. (D+). After the match, Lance Russell interviewed Doug Sommers, who hyped his win. He also said he's somewhat offended that Gary Hart has decided to represent his tag-team partner, Frank Dusek but not him. He says he'll impress Gary Hart over the next few months, and hopes to become a client of his soon.

-As the show starts, a music video recaps the World Title Tournament, and David Von Erich's victory. (This is the first TV show since his win). (B+)

-Roddy Piper is on the set of Piper's Pit. He gets a mixed reaction - not all of the fans are aware of his attack on David last night in Atlanta. Roddy Piper says that by virtue of his victory of Adrian Adonis at the King of Texas Wrestling show, he's the #1 contender to David's World Title. He then talks about getting his first shot last night, and taking David to a 30 minute draw. He also talks about almost shoving a microphone down David's throat last night on Piper's Pit, which turns more of the fans in attendance against him. After rambling for a while longer, he brings out his guest - David Von Erich. The two go back and forth in a tense exchange, but they don't ever come to blows. Instead, they hype tonight's main event - a return match for the World Title. David says he doesn't think Piper deserves a World Title match, and that his WCCW run has been mediocre. Piper says that David as champion holds WCCW back, and that they need a more charismatic champion. (B-)

-Fritz Von Erich comes to the ring, stating that he has an announcement to make. He says that in the interest in the credibility of WCCW championships, and the ability for those championships to be adequately defended, he is announcing a new rule that no one man can hold more than one championship in WCCW. He says that the rule at this time most directly effects the Freebirds, where Buddy Roberts is both the TV champion, and 1/3 of the Six-Man Tag Team Championship. He says that the Freebirds have to decide with belt to vacate by next weeks TV show. (B-)

-Frank Dusek (w/ Gary Hart) drew with Iceman Parsons in 10:00 when the time limit expired. (D+). The two showed poor chemistry.

-The Freebirds come to the ring, and immediately express an objection to Fritz' prior ruling regarding the title belts. Michael Hayes says that it's not a big deal, since the WCCW board of directors is now "Freebird Friendly", and that they will overturn this decision before next weeks TV show. They say that the rule will be vetoed, and that before long, all the belts will be in the possession of the Freebirds. Further, Michael Hayes says that the Freebirds have an announcement - he then introduces Skandor Akbar to the ring. Hayes says that a few weeks ago, he announced the goals of "Freebird Nation", one of them being that they will get every single WCCW star under a Freebird contract. He then says that today, Skandor Akbar is the first to become an official associate of the Freebirds - their new business association now covers all present or future Akbar clients. They will now all be "looking out for each other". The announcers speculate about what this means for The Sheepherders - Akbar clients and current World Tag Team Champions. (C+)

-A video plays recapping the Michael Hayes/Kevin Von Erich conflict of the last few weeks. It featuring Michael Hayes costing Kevin a match against Frank Dusek in a World Title Tournament Qualifying Match, and then Kevin returning the favor in the tournament itself, costing Hayes a Quarter-Final Match against Dusek, allowing the latter to advance. (C+)

-Michael Hayes defeated Kevin Von Erich in 10:38 by DQ. (B-). Kevin lost his temper and through Hayes over the top rope, after several referee warnings about breaking rules.

-A brief recap video shows the incident from the King of Texas Wrestling show when King Kong Bundy came to blows with ringside judge Jose Lothario. Lothario had voted against Arturo Mendoza (like Bundy, a Gary Hart client). (C+)

-King Kong Bundy (w/Gary Hart) defeats Jose Lothario in 6:49 by pinfall. (C). The two showed poor chemistry.

-WCCW World Heavyweight Championship Match
David Von Erich drew with Roddy Piper in 30:00 when the time limit expired. (B). David makes his 2nd defense of the World Title.

Overall Show Rating: B-

THOUGHTS:

-I keep trashing Piper, but then I keep giving him world title matches, where he's holding his own with David. I'm thinking of dragging this out until the Parade of Champions at the end of the month, with some kind of blow-off gimmick match. Tonight's match wasn't as good as last night's match, but the two had to be somewhat tired with back to back 30-minute matches.

-Fritz is starting to go after the Freebirds with his commissioner decisions - this is the start of a "behind the scenes" feud for control of WCCW. If you're at all familiar with 1980s wrestling, and my preference in this dynasty to rip off ideas of all the various territorial promotions of the day, you know that this brutal feud between two groups can only end in one way. But we're a ways away from that.

-I used Gordy and Roberts on the pre-show because I knew I'd be paying them to show up on the main show anyway - it doesn't cost any more to have them appear more than once on a show. The occasional superstar dark match win will help the younger opponents improve, and will help pad the winners' W/L record and momentum.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote