View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 09:17 PM   #473
molson
General Manager

A little dynasty side-note about the real WCCW - I'm really looking forward to the upcoming WWE DVD release: "The Triumph and Tragedy of World Class Championship Wrestling". I saw this review from Mike Johnson from PWInsider the other day:

"While traveling yesterday, I had the chance to check out an advance copy of documentary for WWE's Triumph and Tragedy of World Class Championship Wrestling, which will be released on 12/11. The list of those who provide insight into Texas' most famous family, The Von Erichs and WCCW are Kevin Von Erich, Michael Hayes, Jimmy Garvin, Buddy Roberts, Gary Hart, Bill Mercer, Bill Irwin, Dory Funk Jr., Triple H, Mick Foley, Shawn Michaels, Dusty Rhodes, Verne Gagne, Ric Flair, Jim Ross, Jerry Lawler, Gerald Brisco, and Skandar Akbar. The documentary is among one of the better ones put together by WWE. There were a few small things I would have preferred an opposing viewpoint on, particularly statements made by Kevin about the Fritz Von Erich heart attack angle (he acted as if the fans assumed it was a heart attack, not something the company pulled as an angle, even saying that doing a heart attack angle would be "cheesy") That said, there is a wealth of great insight into that time period and I think anyone who loved that era will enjoy this for the most part. Names like Gino Hernandez, Chris Adams, Bruiser Brody and more are all covered. Gary Hart, Bill Mercer, Michael Hayes and Triple H all provide excellent insight and it's a very well produced piece. Bill Irwin's first person account of David Von Erich's death in Japan is chilling. One of the best statements in the entire piece was made by Kevin, who noted that fans will stay with you for the first death and feel for you but as more pile up, they are going to question what is wrong and give up. Very prophetic, given this past year in wrestling. For all of the talk of WWE wanting to use their Films division to make money and expand their business, I am baffled as to why they don't take some of these documentaries and release them via the film festival and arthouse circles. You can pre-order the DVD from our friends at www.highspots.com. I'll be writing a lot more about the documentary next week."

And the DVD cover art is very cool:

Image Hosting
molson is offline   Reply With Quote