View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 12:29 AM   #33
BYU 14
Coordinator

2014 Off Season

Stadium
Nothing needed here

Staff
Completely happy with the staff, none are in the last year of their contracts, going to keep them all.
HC – Tom Quinn
Asst HC – Carlton Malone
OC – Sean Stone
DC – Alan Williams

Crap, Alan Williams is hired away by Miami to be their new HC, I snag assistant HC Bill Kollar from Houston, a slight downgrade, but he will be just fine.

Raise ticket prices slightly 1 to 5 dollars and increase boxes a thousand. I slap the franchise tag on TE Kyle Rudolph, I look to sign him to a 3-4 year deal before the season.

DE Jared Allen retires, not his best season, but he certainly had a couple good years left. He will be hard to replace.

Free Agency
23.3 million under the cap and I need a started DE, an OG and an upgrade at WLB. The staff wants a new starting MLB, but Laurinaitis is 60/60 and I am happy with him. As usual will ponder (no pun intended) picking up a QB if there is a fit. Next I release C Dan Koppen (1.4 mil), DT Kevin Williams (1.0 mil), SLB Ty McKenzie (800K) and FS Robert Blanton (700K).

I trade WR DeSean Jackson to Baltimore for a 3rd round pick, freeing up another 4 mil plus. This leaves us 31.6 million under the cap heading into free agency. In looking at the draft, the top 10 evaluations include four stud DE’s, all run a 4.6 or better. I am set to pick 27th, so trading up will be a priority to hopefully snag one to replace Allen.

Free agents signed
WLB Connor Barwin (47/47) – 3 yrs 13.32 mil
DT Sammie Lee Hill (48/48) – 2 yrs 4.07 mil
FS Tavon Wilson (49/49) – 3 yrs 4.9 mil
LG Joe Looney (46/62) – 3 yrs 5.62 mil

Free agents lost
DT LeTroy Guion (44/44) to NY Giants
MLB Erin Henderson (35/35 ) to St. Louis
RG Brandon Fusco (32/37) to Detroit

Nobody sexy this year, but what I like to think of as some solid role players, who will fill/upgrade parts of the puzzle. Hill is a slight upgrade over the disgruntled and departed Guion, who I was happy to let go. Looney shores up the line and will bump Charley Johnson from the top of the depth chart, while both Barwin and Wilson should displace last year’s starters at their spots as well (Wesley Woodyard and Andrew Sendejo respectively)

Draft
1.5: (Via New England) DE Jessie Walter (41/70) Delaware – 4.63 40, 2 reds, 3 blues, costs us our 1st round pick (27) this season and our #1 next year, but he looks like the real deal. Had to snag him as the 2 DE’s that were a bit better went quick.
2.59: CB Chris Finnegan (22/42) Adams State – Another small school kid, solid in all areas of coverage and runs a 4.41
3.91: DT Kerry Atkins (17/38) Indiana – 1 red, 1 blue, solid player who will make the roster and back up Sharrif Floyd at RDT.
3.93: QB Marc Clayton (9/31) New Mexico – A 39 on his Sole and 82 at position drills. One of these young guys needs to be ready to take over for Cassel soon, will see of his smarts help him develop.
4.123: C Spencer Ramsey (18/41) LSU – 3 blues and a green and skipped position workout, but I only have one Center on the roster now. Does have some upside and adds depth.
5.155: DE Tyrell Jefferson (24/31) Michigan State – Average all across the board, but best available that fit a need position.
6.187: T Ray Erdmann (6/39) Alabama – Real raw, but had decent combine numbers, we will see if he can develop
7.219: WR Chris Alcott (15/30) Nebraska – 4.49 and a couple of blues in other areas, longshot.

We get a solid B and we filled our biggest position of need, Ramsey could be a sleeper at C and I like Finnegan as well.

Late Free Agency we sign 13 yr veteran SS Troy Polamalu (44/44) for 1 year at 1.34 mil. We are set with Harrison Smith as the starter, but Troy can play in nickel and be a mentor. We also snag long snapper Blaine Mitchell (20/20) for 2 years at 1.19 mil total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Great season! In spite of Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Cassel.
Thanks, hopefully keeping him doesn't backfire.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 12-26-2013 at 08:01 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote