View Single Post
Old 05-13-2016, 02:25 AM   #271
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
And to be honest, the first part of your question is perhaps more important than the second. For strategy games like this that are incredibly complex and have a difficult learning curve, you're probably at least greater than 50% "good" rating for gamers. Maybe even well clear of that number.

Yeah I kinda had a feeling that was the case but honestly wasn't sure how high to set the bar since, well, we may not be an "average" focus group around here to draw conclusions from And I'm sure this place does color my perceptions, especially on games of this sort.

By the same token though I also see some fairly well-trafficked YouTubers playing games (not this one yet obviously but HOI comes to mind) and doing incredibly dumb stuff than even I end up #smdh about while only half watching (I usually see these when my son is watching them). That leaves me wondering if, you know, maybe I don't suck quite as bad as I think I do most of the time.

Quote:
Maybe in a game like Civ, with 6 or 7 different difficulty levels, you can really prime the pump on the highest difficulty level. But Stellaris has "Normal" and "Hard" modes, and that's it. Which leaves little margin for error in terms of how good you can make the AI.

And this leads back to my bit about scaling the AI up/down without doing stuff that feels very gamey. Cause that's probably the easiest way to scale the AI ... but it sucks when you know that's happening & you're on the wrong end of it.