View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #13
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

We lucked out when a West Indian guy from Jamaica named Cricket -- or so he told me to call him -- and I started talking at the coffee shop the other night. I must've had on a t-shirt or something and he said "Aye man, you say you play baseball? I do a bit of that y'know?"

I look at him and say "I'm on a team on Wednesday nights. We actually need some guys now or they're gonna shut us down."

"What? Shut down. Ah, that's no good. I know some people who been wanting to play for years here in the City League, but they can't get us on the team or the waiting list. They say it's full."

"Yeah, Wednesday night is a different league. We're newer, but not as many people want to play on Wednesdays," I say.

"Well, we'll be out there. Here's my number. That sounds like a real trip."

So now I've got this guy who tells me he has some people. At this point, I could care less how good they are. I just need bodies because I'm enjoying being out there and think it'd be cool to keep playing. But not sure what to expect.

Sure enough he calls me the next day and tells me he has about 5 people who want to come out. Couple that with the 4 people who returned my calls from the league list and all of a sudden we have more guys than we even need.

Which is good, because I get a call from 1B James, who is my home-run guy from the other night. He has some bad news. He's been asked to join us buddy's Saturday Night League. It's nothing person, he tells me, just that he doesn't know if we'll have a team anyway and so, he figures he should take him up on it, plus he is usually tired after work on Wednesdays, but he'd like to do something on Saturday nights with the boys.

Soo...that's another guy we've lost.

I'm cautiously optimistic this thing is going to work out, but if we get to next week and have to forfeit, I won't be surprised at all.

I hope these people show up.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote